• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What made you like Oakley?

RicHockney

Oakley Expert
What’s people’s earliest memories of Oakley?

I was about 14/15 years old and was really into mountain biking, I was in and out of our local bike shop almost every weekend to browse the stock/fix punctures etc. I’ve always had expensive taste but had to rely on Mum/Dad to buy things at that age; I had no job. I remember going into the bike shop one day and they had a new Oakley stand, I had a quick browse and my eyes settled on a pair of X-Metal/black iridium Juliet’s.... I was in love! I think back then they were £240 ($300) I remember my Mum just laughing and saying something along the lines of ‘what a waste of money’ ‘you’ll only lose or break them’ ‘you can buy them when you earn your own money’ all the usual sort of stuff. I couldn’t wait, I was set, I was having those glasses one way or another. I got myself a job and worked my ass off after school and at the weekends. I picked up shifts whenever I could and got paid about £200 at the end of the month. I was £40 short and begged and begged my Mum to lend me the rest. She eventually caved in and we made our way to the shop. She tried everything to convince me not to buy them but I was having none of it. I handed my cash over and got my glasses, my pride and joy. They lasted about 12 years until I sold them and I took every opportunity I could to remind my Mum I still had them and still loved them! I wish I’d never parted with them but I needed the money at the time. A few years later I got back into X-Metals & they were the first pair I bought back.....this time, they’ll never get sold.

I was a BMX racer in 1982 so for me - f1 Grips... They were the only thing worth having, the originals.

When they bought out the Eyeshade we could hardly believe it. Many people - O Enthusiasts too, dont realise what a game changer they were.

When I first joined this forum about 5 years ago - Not a single person was really aware of their heritage. Only since the Heritage Eyehsade came out have people really remembered them, let alone wear them. People would say - Really, you wear Those??

I was a BMX racer in 1982 so for me - f1 Grips... They were the only thing worth having, the originals.

When they bought out the Eyeshade we could hardly believe it. Many people - O Enthusiasts too, dont realise what a game changer they were.

When I first joined this forum about 5 years ago - Not a single person was really aware of their heritage. Only since the Heritage Eyehsade came out have people really remembered them, let alone wear them. People would say - Really, you wear Those??
It was the EyeJacket for me. I used to race XC mtb and every other person seemed to have a pair....
I wasn't really into the Eyeshade era but I did snag one of these ShadeStation exclusive boxes a while back and added the three pairs to complete the set.
797e278b7691456e758528627f280be7.jpg
ad6ee8c9e4c6c52108ce6d42cecbc36c.jpg
60d2f62734dcde157c10404fbcbaefba.jpg
01aab2b486367b83d0555cf6f25a02ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Have you got pics of the grips/glasses? It’d be good to see some.

Oakley was heavily involved with NHRA. Thermonuclear eye protection. Scotty Cannon and the whole nitro funny car scene was the hook. They were bold, in your face, unconventional and weren’t shy about making a statement. Zeroes were my first pair. It was a brand that few wore. You were part of a crew and not everyone could be in that club. Oakley was unearthly. And so the story began.

Back