• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Are replacement lenses available for Oakley 1990s M Frame?

xotu

Oakley Beginner
I am happy to have found a forum of Oakley aficionados - hopefully you folks can help he answer a question I have:

I've got a pair of glasses that I bought, I dunno, maybe 10 years ago. Maybe 15 years ago. They were packed away in a box in my attic for a long time following a move. I used to use these while hiking or boating, and they became scratched and cloudy with age.

Can I get a replacement lens for these? What model are they?

2018-03-17 19.12.59.jpg

2018-03-17 19.13.03.jpg

You can source Oakley lens on eBay. But if you are into the new prizm line we have a forum member here that can cut a lens for you. Of course you have to meet the exchange guidelines per forum rules. Nice looking M Frames buddy!

Thanks, all, for the swift replies: This is exactly the sort of information and level of detail I was hoping for.

Now that I know what I have (pretty sure based on another thread on this forum I have a pair of 1994 M Frames) I have a few more questions:

• The 1994 M is the so-called 2nd Gen, I believe. Is that a different lens, or will any M lens fit?
  • Will a 2.0 lens fit?
  • Are there any third-party lenses that compare with the quality of an Oakley lens? Some of the new/old-stock Oakley lenses I saw on Ebay were going for such a hefty premium that it would only cost a little more to get a new generation pair of glasses from Oakley.
  • I saw somewhere that the M Frames were originally called Mumbos, but Oakley had to stop using that name due to trademark infringement. It that true? If so, whose trademark were they accused or infringing upon?

• I saw somewhere that the M Frames were originally called Mumbos, but Oakley had to stop using that name due to trademark infringement. It that true? If so, whose trademark were they accused or infringing upon?

Yes when they came out around 1990 they were called Mumbos. I remember well because Greg LeMond used them in bright neon yellow that year in the Tour de France.

From what I recall there was a clothing company that made claims to the name or its similarity to one.

Keep in mind something a bit similar happened in this century when Oakley stopped using the name Jawbone and renamed them (along with a few tweaks) as Racing Jackets (in itself a reuse of a prior Oakley frame's name)

No a 2.0 lense will not fit. Only gen 1 and 2 m frame lenses will fit and they are scarce and pricey. No aftermarket company will compare to oakleys quality.

You may be better off getting a new pair if you intend to wear them because this pair in particular is known to be brittle and will easily break with daily use. The new m frame is better for wearing purposes

No a 2.0 lense will not fit. Only gen 1 and 2 m frame lenses will fit and they are scarce and pricey. No aftermarket company will compare to oakleys quality.

You may be better off getting a new pair if you intend to wear them because this pair in particular is known to be brittle and will easily break with daily use. The new m frame is better for wearing purposes

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I want a pair of non-polarized glasses for driving, and I think the Prizm Road lenses are good choice. Not sure yet whether I will get the updated M Frame or something else, but I will probably get a lens for my 24-year-old [!] M Frames, because I love the idea that they can become useful again after all these years.

Back