• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fives Squared - Messed Up Lens

Zax

Chicago
Been a while since I've posted. Anyways, after a couple years away from my collection, I suddenly had the itch to jump back in. I acquired a pair of Fives Squared last year during the fall, but never used it until today. I didn't realize it had nose bombs, and found it was a newer pair.

Anyways, the lenses appear to be Black Iridium Polarized, but the polarization seems messed up on the right lens. The left lens (with the etching) seems fine, and it definitely takes away the glare. The right one amplifies the glares. I thought it was just my imagination when I first put them on, as everything looked "3D ish". Threw on my polarized Gascan's (VR28 BIP) and saw the difference.

Long story short - seems like a bad lens, but I've never seen this happen before. I got this pair on eBay, but it was listed "New w/o tags" from a reputable seller. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Been a while since I've posted. Anyways, after a couple years away from my collection, I suddenly had the itch to jump back in. I acquired a pair of Fives Squared last year during the fall, but never used it until today. I didn't realize it had nose bombs, and found it was a newer pair.

Anyways, the lenses appear to be Black Iridium Polarized, but the polarization seems messed up on the right lens. The left lens (with the etching) seems fine, and it definitely takes away the glare. The right one amplifies the glares. I thought it was just my imagination when I first put them on, as everything looked "3D ish". Threw on my polarized Gascan's (VR28 BIP) and saw the difference.

Long story short - seems like a bad lens, but I've never seen this happen before. I got this pair on eBay, but it was listed "New w/o tags" from a reputable seller. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Welcome back and no

Hold them up to a tv screen. Turn them 90° and see if the the screen gets darker. If one is dark and one not they may have not cut at the right axis.

I've never had it happen with a new pair. But it sounds to me like the seller might have replaced one of the lenses with a non-polar, which I have seen before. Bummer man, sounds like it basically makes them unwearable.

Back