• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Found this today--what do I do to clean it up?

Elsom

Oakley Beginner
Hi--

I found this on Craigslist and it took me awhile to figure out it's an Oakley case. Any advice on how best to restore the finish? And any advice on a good puck light to install?

Thanks!

IMG_4910.jpeg

Oh, and any idea of when this particular kind would have been made, and by what company?

Tnx!

I think it's pretty cool as is, looks-wise, but the rust just powders off onto anyone that gets near it. Maybe I could coat it with something? But if I *did* want to remove the rust--maybe in order to paint the whole thing (is that a transgression???), does anyone have any advice?

I think it's pretty cool as is, looks-wise, but the rust just powders off onto anyone that gets near it. Maybe I could coat it with something? But if I *did* want to remove the rust--maybe in order to paint the whole thing (is that a transgression???), does anyone have any advice?
My guess is if you remove the rust you will have “stains” beneath it. There is a finish on the outside … I would think a spray paint clear coat would seal it so it doesn’t flake off on you but I would do some research on how to stabilize it so the rust process doesn’t continue… if you do blast it plan on refinishing it because the stained ones I’ve seen look like a dead body was stored in it once the rust was removed

Oh that is great advice. I found a local sandblasting guy and I'll bring this staining issue up with him. Maybe I'll end up painting the whole thing. I know that's not a purist's move, but I'm after this for the deep down coolness of it, not it's Oakley-ness.

Oh that is great advice. I found a local sandblasting guy and I'll bring this staining issue up with him. Maybe I'll end up painting the whole thing. I know that's not a purist's move, but I'm after this for the deep down coolness of it, not it's Oakley-ness.
Yea... if you know a good metal guy seeking advice and services from him might be worth it to get the best results... In the end its yours bud so make it what you want it to be. I transformed a Smith Case into a Oakley SI case last year and stripped and painted it and I love the way it looks standing beside my OEM Oakley cases. Just be sure you do the paint process correctly so it doesn't flake off in a couple years. I've always wondered what it would cost to cerakote a Oakley case to a burnt or midnight bronze,,, 🤔

Back