• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gen Xer's are aging what about their collections?

XxRuMKaxX

I Should Work at M-Experiment
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
So a recent meeting of someone who has inherited a collection of a deceased former member here and does not know anything about it has joined in my own thoughts of how I will be leaving my collection to my heirs and setting them up to have an ease of selling and dealing with good buyers. It is on my mind because men on one side of my family drop anywhere from 40yrs to 70yrs old with most on the 40 end of that spectrum, I am 47. It is a fact that there are many many many $20k 50k 80k collections out there and some in the 100k plus value. I would venture to even say there are a few million dollar collections. With our generation getting older and some having already passed would it not be a great idea to have a sticky thread here titled something like "Just inherit a collection? Get answers here" and limit it to responders meeting a high criteria of membership, longtimers, and people who are likely going to be honest to help people valuate their items and learn about what they have been left. I know if there was, my children would be the first to be told to bookmark it on their browser. I think most of us are honest and besides noone wants to wreck their reputation by ripping off someone so as long as we found a way to limit the responders by making them reach a certain level here we could set up something that is going to be more and more sought after... answers. Having just inherited a huge book collection I can attest to the enormity and overwhelmingness of it all and had my father just left one message to me to go to a forum and where to look my god how much easier that would have made things. I am on my 4th year of dealing with that. So there is my thoughts... @OakleyBoss

Interesting, I almost think it might be a great guide of what to do if you inherit an Oakley collection. I mean it can definitely be a thread too but gets tougher to limit who can see the thread and reply etc. than maintaining that. But I like the idea of some guidance.

Interesting, I almost think it might be a great guide of what to do if you inherit an Oakley collection. I mean it can definitely be a thread too but gets tougher to limit who can see the thread and reply etc. than maintaining that. But I like the idea of some guidance.
Right now I see it as something to set up for us while we are still here. So we can point them to it for when we are gone. My greatest fear is my daughter getting on eBay and some less honorable person than most here are getting a hold of her and getting her to sell dirt cheap and then she get robbed twice by eBay. She already knows to come here but that’s it and this place moves fast some days and not knowing where or who or what to ask… it’s overwhelming for someone who knows about it much less someone who is learning for the first time. Let’s not even talk about all the variations… oh man… I struggle to keep up and I keep my eye on the hobby daily!

Yeah, honestly my thoughts are this forum is pretty good at outing the obvious with that in mind an instruction set would come in handy, even if made public, the hive or the horde would sort it out as long as it is made public. Serious collections have some sort of cataloging process, My instructions would be to refer to the catalog, list them for market price and go from there...

Yeah, honestly my thoughts are this forum is pretty good at outing the obvious with that in mind an instruction set would come in handy, even if made public, the hive or the horde would sort it out as long as it is made public. Serious collections have some sort of cataloging process, My instructions would be to refer to the catalog, list them for market price and go from there...
Yea... There is a whole nother subject... market price! Ask 3 guys here what an XX sells for and you will get 3 different answers hundreds apart. I personally watch all the auctions on Ebay to ending to get a feel for the market but unlike sports cards we do not have a value resource and therefore the market shoots up and down year after year so much I get seasick. In my catalog I have everything in there priced to todays market but not one Xmetal is priced because how do I price it today when it two weeks the same frame might sell for $200 less or more. That is where I see people interacting with people in real time being of benefit. Plus... what is more fun than getting to comb through someones collection and help value it! I would reserve that privilege for a very high standard though and set up the thread to allow different things. Most privileged can message the user while most can only comment in public and those under a certain level can only lurk and learn. Of course posting for help has to be easy ... can't lock out the people we are there to help 😂 I will admit the idea needs some thought and input.

I guess my thought comes from having dealt with a collection... one I have no personal interest in. Not understanding dads list of things... it was all French to me. Going at thinning the collection down by making easy decisions in place of smart ones. That is kinda the reality of the people coming behind us and when we are gone those same things happen. That reality scares me for my collection. Yes my kids love it but they don't have "the passion" so I know what reading "Kato super bowl edition" in a catalog is like when you have no clue what a Kato even looks like. Then there are hundreds more and all I know are some are cool and some are not!

Last edited:
So a recent meeting of someone who has inherited a collection of a deceased former member here and does not know anything about it has joined in my own thoughts of how I will be leaving my collection to my heirs and setting them up to have an ease of selling and dealing with good buyers. It is on my mind because men on one side of my family drop anywhere from 40yrs to 70yrs old with most on the 40 end of that spectrum, I am 47. It is a fact that there are many many many $20k 50k 80k collections out there and some in the 100k plus value. I would venture to even say there are a few million dollar collections. With our generation getting older and some having already passed would it not be a great idea to have a sticky thread here titled something like "Just inherit a collection? Get answers here" and limit it to responders meeting a high criteria of membership, longtimers, and people who are likely going to be honest to help people valuate their items and learn about what they have been left. I know if there was, my children would be the first to be told to bookmark it on their browser. I think most of us are honest and besides noone wants to wreck their reputation by ripping off someone so as long as we found a way to limit the responders by making them reach a certain level here we could set up something that is going to be more and more sought after... answers. Having just inherited a huge book collection I can attest to the enormity and overwhelmingness of it all and had my father just left one message to me to go to a forum and where to look my god how much easier that would have made things. I am on my 4th year of dealing with that. So there is my thoughts... @OakleyBoss
I will be passing mine onto my kids, I have already told them that they are valuable & hope that will hang onto them but if they wish to sell them it’s fine. I might put a estimated value on the bottom of the box.

Latest Posts

Back