• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking for a Friend in USA

Hi Marcus,

Be careful though. These days there are barely any ways to get around import taxes.
In the EU it used to be everything under 25 Eur is free and gifts were free as well (to a certain limit). These days you pay taxes for all commercial shipments as well as on gifts above 25 Eur.
I work at the airport and trust me only small shipments might slip through that. Everything larger will be controlled.

I don’t know exactly how it is in the uk these days, but to my understanding it’s not much different.

A quick research:
In Great Britain everything under 15 GBP (including shipping costs) is still free - but you won’t get far with that. To my understanding same as in the EU gifts also apply to taxes / custom charges.

Be careful with the "fishisfast" iit will save you some US tax being located in Delaware and it will enable you to receive shipments from sellers that only ship to the US. Still they have to get the stuff across the pond. And then you do pay european / british taxes once it arrives at the airport and gets through customs. Then whoever is the handler pays if first for you and you get the bill upon delivery.'
It might be interesting but it wont save you from paying import taxes. Those are 2 different things.

From my experience it would be only beneficial to have a friend / Relative that regularly visits the US and can carry the goods for you (the limits are much higher than for shipments). Otherwise its no real advantage.

@JK_Cycling thank you for that reply that is helpful, my friend and I have set up a fishisfast locker and will bundle stuff together and can split the cost hopefully making it a bit cheaper!

Back