• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lopaka's DIY Garage (2.0)

Project number #5 is my best work to date. Done in the fall of 2020. Really took my time on each piece and I'm happy with the results. OXM hardware and Linegear lenses and rubbers.

IMG_2825.jpeg
IMG_2784.jpeg
IMG_2786.jpeg
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2792.jpeg
IMG_2795.jpeg
IMG_2796.jpeg
IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2800.jpeg
IMG_2803.jpeg
IMG_2807.jpeg

Sometime in the middle of these projects, I got tired of looking at project #1 and finally decided to get it fixed. So it was polished up better and sent to @Larry for leather. When I first got the pair, I bought it as a crater. But it had a Jordan serial. Now it was going back to being a leather Jordan. But with a twist.

IMG_9860.jpeg
IMG_9865.jpeg
IMG_9867.jpeg
IMG_9869.jpeg

what polish are you with your Dremel?
my jeweler had given me a block of paste to use on my polished watch bands, but I'm running out

what polish are you with your Dremel?
my jeweler had given me a block of paste to use on my polished watch bands, but I'm running out
I'm guessing you're referring to a jewelers 'rouge'. I bought this white block from this California company (Jets.Inc) that worked nicely on my first projects. Found them on Ebay. And it seemed on par with the Flitz I tried as well. Both are pretty good. But nowadays, I've been using only Mothers Polish. Easy on, easy off, and the shine might be better than the Flitz or the rouge. There's all kinds of polishing blocks/rouges, and don't know enough about other products to make recommendations. But I sure liked the Mothers polish because it's much easier to use.

IMG_6851.jpeg
IMG_6853.jpeg
IMG_6855.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
true, there are sooo many polishes out there. I use the paste block for surface scratches which usually get them out, and then this for maintenance.
Screenshot_20210314-150911_Chrome.jpg

In the middle of all the polishing I was doing on my first projects, I managed to set up and try some anodizing. My first tries was with a Mars bridge piece, and it sucked. I only had that one piece ready. And I tried on the same piece a couple more times before packing things up for a few weeks. That was when I came up with the dumb idea to get titanium plates to anodize, so I would have more pieces to practice with. Even with plates that were supposed to be easier to anodize, I was still getting mixed results. Half decent colors but nothing consistent.

IMG_2084.jpeg
IMG_2086.jpeg
IMG_2629.jpeg
IMG_2593.jpeg
IMG_2601.jpeg
IXHZ5474.jpeg

I'd like to use this post to thank all those that have given me advice and inspiration. Other customizers here have been gracious enough to extend hands to help me get better at everything I'm trying to achieve. I hope I don't let you guys down. Mahalo Brothers. :cool-33: 🤙

Last edited:
While fine tuning my anodizing and felt I was getting closer. I had a little accident. I came up with colors that I haven't been able to recreate. I was trying to get into the higher voltage purples and got what looked like a pearl color. It did these two orbital/eye pieces at the same time, and is probably the only reason the color on both sides were the same. I fiddled with the idea of using the sockets. But in the end, I etched the color off in seconds. The photos with the pieces in my hands was taken right before they were placed in an etch to have the finish removed. That pearl was done on a piece that didn't have a maximum shine, as I was still trying to figure out how to get better colors. And the other pieces weren't up to par either. I've tried to recreate what I thought I did, in trying to come up with that pearl again. But have been unsuccessful. Someday I'll get it.

IMG_3579.jpeg
IMG_3580.jpeg
IMG_3581.jpeg
IMG_3582.jpeg
IMG_3583.jpeg
IMG_3573.jpeg
IMG_3576.jpeg

Last edited:
Back