• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Music Thread - Cover Songs

Do you like when a band covers another bands song

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Depends on the song/band that covers

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters
Being a audiophile myself I feel that a good cover song can be a nice change from the original.
Some bands have done great versions of covers where as we all know some have done no justice to the original.

What are your favorites?

Sent from nowhere special

I'd say a drastic example is "With a Little Help from My Friends".

The Beatles original is a classic song.

But the Joe Cocker cover, done just a year later, was such a major rearrangement that it's almost unrecognizable. Some may argue it's better but it was changed so much it's really apples to oranges. Others have covered it since but without the same impact.

For me it depends on the band/musician and the song. Foo Fighters cover of Band On The Run is awesome. Metallica doing Whiskey In The Jar is a pretty good one as well. Celine Dion doing You Shook Me All Night Long should never be heard by anyone.....unless it's being used as a form of extreme punishment.

Johnny cash made a CD late in his life that was all covers. It's an amazing CD.

Sublime did some nice covers too.

I've also seen the original Wailers play live with Kevin Marley singing(opening for dave Matthews in '07). Kind of a cover.

But most of the time it sucks.

Primus does a version of Pink Floyd’s “ Have a Cigar” this is pretty good and staying on that theme, Shadows Fall covers “Welcome to the Machine” very well.

Sent from nowhere special

Johnny cash made a CD late in his life that was all covers. It's an amazing CD.

Agreed. I'm really not into country but I respected JC and have his box set "Unearthed" which compiles many of those covers on disk 5. Aside from the more publicized covers like U2's "One" and NIN's "Hurt", I found his cover of "Mercy Seat" to be incredible...

"My kill hand tattooed 'E V I L'
across it's brother's fist
That filthy five!
They did nothing to challenge or resist..."

Latest Posts

Back