• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley doesn't honor their old lifetime warranty anymore

you spent $1000 on one pair of sunglasses?...... you could have bought 10 pairs here on the exchange forum instead, and those would have lasted a lifetime

;)
We ALL know there’s no way the pair could have come to 1000$ ...

Unless it’s in another currency ...

Most likely he bought frames, case and many pairs of lenses...

This new member is suggesting that y’all intact some kind of consumer protection law... which may or may not exist in your state/country.

There is one around here, simply put, if the manufacturer warranty is expired and the product goes bad immediately after, you MAY have a case. It depends on the type of product and the price paid and a reasonable expectation of quality.

For example, you buy a brand new QLED TV for 2500$. It dies after 14 months. Samsung (or whoever) won’t honor the warranty. The government can step in and force them to either fix it or replace it because it’s UNREASONNABLE for a 2500$ TV to die after 14 months. Extended warranty purchased or not.

But, these glasses were first made in 1999? Even if this poster bought the last pair ever made... 10 years later we may be PAST a reasonable expectation of quality and performance out of a pair of sunglasses.

Don’t jump into the bat of Kool Aid right of the get go Folks!

Don’t go calling Johnny Law to put a warrant out on Suxlottica.

Research it a little first...

Oakley isn’t Oakley anymore. Even if there was a lifetime warranty on something Oakley sold pre 07-08, Lux would have nixed it anyway. They don’t give a **** about your old Oakley shades, but if you want to buy a new pair, they’re ready to sell... after all, they only want your money. Your loyalty to a certain brand does not interest them since they have 90+% of the sunglasses market. They’re gonna get their money from you one way or another.

Oakley isn’t Oakley anymore. Even if there was a lifetime warranty on something Oakley sold pre 07-08, Lux would have nixed it anyway. They don’t give a **** about your old Oakley shades, but if you want to buy a new pair, they’re ready to sell... after all, they only want your money.

That’s less Lux and just plain old Oakley policy. Even before Lux they didn’t honor their lifetime Eyeshade warranty. If you had a pair that you wanted fixed that was out of warranty, discontinued and had no parts for, you were out of luck. They did try to offer you a discount to trade up however. the truth is Oakley wanted you in their new models rather that continue to wear their old stuff no matter which era you shine a light on.

I would love to see something like warranty issues taken to court. Oakley would win, no doubt, but it’d be interesting. The problem is proving there is manufacturing defect rather than it being fair wear and tear due to usage. Like Chop said earlier, there are only a few products that were offered with lifetime warranty. Oakley wised up and stopped that long ago and went with one year warranties thereafter.

I bought them about 14-15 years ago. They came with a metal coin in the top of the box. When you said x-metal, I want to say I've heard of that. Maybe Juliet x-metal? I'm not 100% sure, as I have only worth them a few times because the lenses all screwed up. As for the price, I stated that I bought lenses with them. (As well as a case) I want to say the glasses were $550, and I bought 3 extra sets of polarized lenses for $110-120 each (I know they're $110 or 120 because I bought a replacement set from an Oakley store, a couple years ago, right after they stored making them... Which is also irritating. They send me a bunch of marketing emails, so why not one about the lenses?) and a case for $40-50. So, about $1000 after taxes. (More like $1100 after buying ANOTHER set of lenses.) I bought them specifically because of the warranty. I had a construction company and was always damaging glasses. So it was perfect. But, the more you spend for something, the more you take care of it... And I "took care of them" to the point of not wearing them. Haha. Ironic. The attorney comment was about having them send a letter to Oakley. (I had to do that with HP. I bought a BRAND NEW in box printer, and the "calibration cartridges" were expired. The cartridges have the date on the chip that the printer can tell when they are made. It doesn't work if the cartridges are "expired" and if the calibration cartridges are expired, you can't use the printer... They didn't make the cartridges anymore. So the brand new printer was useless and they thought it was sufficient to give me 15% off a new printer, until a letter was sent.) Companies know you're not going to go after them in court, so they can pretty much tell you to go... off. For the person who mentioned buying them through this website... If i knew about it, I probably would have. Though, even if I did, It's just hard to buy something that expensive off a website, other than the manufacturer. (With all the knockoff stuff in mind.) Now that I know this is a reputable website, that's probably what I'll do. Btw, the issue with my glasses is the hinge part where the nose bridge is riveted on has rubber bumper/gasket/cushioning inside, that has completely deteriorated, and they're unwearable. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks a lot everyone,
Drew

20180824_132140.jpg

I bought them about 14-15 years ago. They came with a metal coin in the top of the box. When you said x-metal, I want to say I've heard of that. Maybe Juliet x-metal? I'm not 100% sure, as I have only worth them a few times because the lenses all screwed up. As for the price, I stated that I bought lenses with them. (As well as a case) I want to say the glasses were $550, and I bought 3 extra sets of polarized lenses for $110-120 each (I know they're $110 or 120 because I bought a replacement set from an Oakley store, a couple years ago, right after they stored making them... Which is also irritating. They send me a bunch of marketing emails, so why not one about the lenses?) and a case for $40-50. So, about $1000 after taxes. (More like $1100 after buying ANOTHER set of lenses.) I bought them specifically because of the warranty. I had a construction company and was always damaging glasses. So it was perfect. But, the more you spend for something, the more you take care of it... And I "took care of them" to the point of not wearing them. Haha. Ironic. The attorney comment was about having them send a letter to Oakley. (I had to do that with HP. I bought a BRAND NEW in box printer, and the "calibration cartridges" were expired. The cartridges have the date on the chip that the printer can tell when they are made. It doesn't work if the cartridges are "expired" and if the calibration cartridges are expired, you can't use the printer... They didn't make the cartridges anymore. So the brand new printer was useless and they thought it was sufficient to give me 15% off a new printer, until a letter was sent.) Companies know you're not going to go after them in court, so they can pretty much tell you to go... off. For the person who mentioned buying them through this website... If i knew about it, I probably would have. Though, even if I did, It's just hard to buy something that expensive off a website, other than the manufacturer. (With all the knockoff stuff in mind.) Now that I know this is a reputable website, that's probably what I'll do. Btw, the issue with my glasses is the hinge part where the nose bridge is riveted on has rubber bumper/gasket/cushioning inside, that has completely deteriorated, and they're unwearable. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks a lot everyone,
Drew

View attachment 518132

Send it off to @THE X-MAN for a nose bridge tune up. Will be tighter than factory and last for quite a long time.

The X-MAN Custom Metalworks

Back