• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Maybe just maybe they'll start producing more. Even if they were 2k a pair it would be so cool to have one that's 3d printed like that..

I wager the material they used is not x metal but rather a common titanium powder. The original xmetal was comprised of 5 main metal components. The fact that they aren’t advertising it as the original xmetals in that regard makes me think it’s not the same blend.

The majority of the money is going to charity. After the donation, it still leaves Oakley with $4000 per set of glasses. I still think this is too much for glasses, but I have no idea what's involved in 3D printing with Titanium. With all of the R&D involved in this new version of X-Metal, Oakley might end up in the red, even after collecting all the funds. If that's true, I bet there are more 3D printed X-Metals to come.

Yeah, I believe the breakdown is $10k goes to charity, Oakley nets whatever = $4k - whatever they're paying Lillard and Pippen - overhead and such. They don't really make much, if anything, out of this.

I guess there's no other viable way to make these pairs at the moment, molds and all — but they couldn't, say, sell ~300 quantities of a $200 pair of sorts to meet that goal for charity, if not be more ahead?

Perhaps the 3D printing exercise is impressive, but I don't see how an end buyer gets their worth. I mean no offense to those two, but Scottie's current chapter is joining ESPN on finding ways to pass broadcasting time discussing non-headlines, and Lillard always complains his way about an ASG or all-NBA snub. Whoever could afford this is probably better off choosing their own charity of choice if they really give a crap, probably saving a couple grand in the process of going after an original Romeo and Juliet.

The majority of the money is going to charity. After the donation, it still leaves Oakley with $4000 per set of glasses. I still think this is too much for glasses, but I have no idea what's involved in 3D printing with Titanium. With all of the R&D involved in this new version of X-Metal, Oakley might end up in the red, even after collecting all the funds. If that's true, I bet there are more 3D printed X-Metals to come.
That's my hope.. the technology would be amazing to continue to use. Imagine a small numbered run of these in different colour ways every year. Id buy one if they were around the 2k mark..

Yeah, I believe the breakdown is $10k goes to charity, Oakley nets whatever = $4k - whatever they're paying Lillard and Pippen - overhead and such. They don't really make much, if anything, out of this.

I guess there's no other viable way to make these pairs at the moment, molds and all — but they couldn't, say, sell ~300 quantities of a $200 pair of sorts to meet that goal for charity, if not be more ahead?

Perhaps the 3D printing exercise is impressive, but I don't see how an end buyer gets their worth. I mean no offense to those two, but Scottie's current chapter is joining ESPN on finding ways to pass broadcasting time discussing non-headlines, and Lillard always complains his way about an ASG or all-NBA snub. Whoever could afford this is probably better off choosing their own charity of choice if they really give a crap, probably saving a couple grand in the process of going after an original Romeo and Juliet.

Printing from titanium and finishing these would cost quite a bit more than $200 a pair. I’d guess it costs them closer to $600-800 just to print and machine them, then you gotta do lenses, packaging, etc.

That's my hope.. the technology would be amazing to continue to use. Imagine a small numbered run of these in different colour ways every year. Id buy one if they were around the 2k mark..
Hopefully you're talking Canadian dollars. Lol.

I'd also like to check one out also. I think there will be a standard production release. Starting with the romeo and working their way through the original styles and maybe a new one or two.

l sure wouldn't think they went to all this work for only 14 pairs.

Hopefully you're talking Canadian dollars. Lol.

I'd also like to check one out also. I think there will be a standard production release. Starting with the romeo and working their way through the original styles and maybe a new one or two.

l sure wouldn't think they went to all this work for only 14 pairs.
They did for the OTT. But who knows. I’m hoping they get someone with some Artistic vision and design something new.

Back