• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OTT 3D printing project

I'm planning to do a black chrome with either the dark blue or red fire lenses :)

tease-mock.gif

So doesn't look like great news on the lens fit. The lenses I got in I 3d scanned wearing some masking tape(hence the texture) It doesn't appear to be a perfect fit.. going to have to try printing off a modeled lens to put the two side by side... Or print off the eye cup to see in real life how this will all fit together.
I'm not good enough at blender to try changing things yet. There is also no lens retention divots in the frame like an original design would most likely have. I suppose I could super glue the lenses into the replica frames?
SJXaWjV.jpg

So doesn't look like great news on the lens fit. The lenses I got in I 3d scanned wearing some masking tape(hence the texture) It doesn't appear to be a perfect fit.. going to have to try printing off a modeled lens to put the two side by side... Or print off the eye cup to see in real life how this will all fit together.
I'm not good enough at blender to try changing things yet. There is also no lens retention divots in the frame like an original design would most likely have. I suppose I could super glue the lenses into the replica frames?View attachment 1046600
Id be tempted if possible to glue a half ring piece behind from 3 oclock to 9. That way you could slot a lense in and remove. Would need to be snug.

I think the next step is to print the digital modeled lenses. If they are an actual match then it will be easy to model in a little shelf. I'm still new at this 3d modeling thing... so learning as I go. changing the primary shape of the opening is beyond my ability though.

The 3d scan of the lens was correct. They do not fit the frames as is. Going to need some adjustments. Lenses are a few mm's to big.

Also scaling up the model is not an option as the curve is too big for my head by about an inch as is. I can heat the resin and shape it to my head better... But so far this is still very alpha release quality 🤣.

I'll work on em over the next few weeks and see if I can get it right. If I get everything fitting right I'll go ahead and paint them up and add to the display.
PXL_20230417_025452066.MP.jpg

Latest Posts

Back