• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Polishing my Romeo

My top tip for polishing is to not advance through the grades too quickly - if there are casting marks left after 250, they will still be there after using 500. Get onto 1200 too soon and the casting marks will never go....

Freakin beautiful. If you don't mind me firing off questions...
What grit did you start & end with?
Did you hand polish, use a dremel, or a wheel?
I start with my Dremel to make smooth. Then I use wet 200 and 600 grit to even things out. Then 1500 and 2000 grit to finish. How smooth you get things on your rougher grits determines your shine on the finer grits. I can get a real decent shine on just the 600 grit. And use the finer grits to get to that mirrored/chrome look. I put in way more hours than people here say they are using, so maybe not the best person to try and copy. Still trying to work out how to do things quicker though.

Last edited:
My top tip for polishing is to not advance through the grades too quickly - if there are casting marks left after 250, they will still be there after using 500. Get onto 1200 too soon and the casting marks will never go....
OH! I was not aware of that, thank you so much for letting me know. I've only done one stem, and it turned out pretty well thankfully. Just starting the orbitals but I've only done 120 and 150 so far
I start with my Dremel to make smooth. Then I use wet 200 and 600 grit to even things out. Then 1500 and 200 grit to finish. How smooth you get things on your rougher grits determines your shine on the finer grits. I can get a real decent shine on just the 600 grit. And use the finer grits to get to that mirrored/chrome look. I put in way more hours than people here say they are using, so maybe not the best person to try and copy. Still trying to work out how to do things quicker though.
Mmm, ok, I'm not too concerned as far as getting it done in a short span of time to be honest. I may end up going out and getting a Dremel especially if it helps get really nice finishes like yours

The coarsest grades will remove the casting marks the quickest but will leave deeper scratches - experience will tell how course to start with. Once the cast marks are gone it is jus a process of gradually removing the scratches with each finer grade. The more grades you use, the quicker you will reduce the severity of the scratches - jumping grades will, in my experience, slow the process down...

Is there a certain dremel bit that you use to smooth everything out? Now I'm just hyper-paranoid about doing this right 😅
The type of Dremel/rotatry tool shouldn't matter as they all do the same thing. I'm paranoid too, so I use sanding discs as opposed to drums. The discs have some give and can conform to curves. It takes a while to sand smooth with discs. Honestly, I've never actually tried something hard like a drum. I'm afraid of creating flat spots or taking off more than I need to.

images.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

The coarsest grades will remove the casting marks the quickest but will leave deeper scratches - experience will tell how course to start with. Once the cast marks are gone it is jus a process of gradually removing the scratches with each finer grade. The more grades you use, the quicker you will reduce the severity of the scratches - jumping grades will, in my experience, slow the process down...
HIghly noted. I will make it a point to be cautious with increasing grades of the grit I use. Thankfully, I'm not short on sandpaper, so I can use one grit for awhile before stepping up the grade
The type of Dremel/rotatry tool shouldn't matter as they all do the same thing. I'm paranoid too, so I use sanding discs as opposed to drums. The discs have some give and can conform to curves. It takes a while to sand smooth with discs. Honestly, I've never actually tried something hard like a drum. I'm afraid of creating flat spots or taking off more than I need to.

View attachment 1034250View attachment 1034251
Turns out my brother has a dremel, but with a drum. I really want to get a nice finish, but am now apprehensive with what you said regarding possible damage to the frame.

After several days of effort, and reassembling them, at 1:32 AM, the project was completed.
20230302_111323.jpg
Comparison picture to an OEM Plasma. I will also take pictures to various oem Polished and hyper-polished pairs later
20230302_111412.jpg

Would they pass a professional's standards? No.
Are they the shiniest they could be? No.
But I'm damn happy I was able to see this through and make a noticeable difference. It took some time and was even therapeutic for me

There are still some rough casting spots I couldn't get out even with a dremel, but I'll say it gives them character. (Cheap way to say I don't have the knowledge & skill to do so myself presently 🤣)

Thank you so much everyone for assisting me through advice, information, and encouragement!!

Back