• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Poll: What was the turnaround time on your x metal customization?

How long was your turn around time on your customization?

• 1-3 months

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 6-9+ months

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Never

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I will chime in finally. And this is not for you all (those of you who choose to engage in your bashing) to play the poke, pick and beat on the topic thing.

First, This past 10-12 months have been extremely off for me, I will be the very first to admit. There are a number of reasons for this, many of which were out of my control, and a few that were easily in my control. Let's start at square 1 so everyone can comprehend, even though I address is a lot normally anyway.

The first thing that started the snowball, was volume. If anyone thinks for a minute I do 1-2 things here or there, or even 10-12, you are GROSSLY mistaken. In an typical month when certain aspects aren't screwing with things, I will do anywhere from 80-200 pairs of shades...Yes, that is ACCURATE. That is not also considering the things I do for various other businesses outside of custom Oakley projects. The volume isn't because the work is shotty, and damn sure NOT because I steal people's things as a few have implied, and I will address that later. This has grown in leaps and bounds FAR beyond my expectations. So when I base expectations on a previous year, month or whatever, and things far exceed that, it is certainly something that catches me well off guard. And yes, that aspect is on me. Something I clearly need to get better at. But, with that said, it's also extremely difficult to make changes, adjust and improve on parts of that when I have to also deal with the next subject.

Second, is actual available time. There are 24 hours in a day. Nothing any one of us can do about. This is 100% a solo operation. Solo meaning I handle every single aspect from communications, picking up supplies, attending classes to improve, emails for inquiries into price or status, social media, taking/editing/posting pix, site updates and maintenance, actual work on projects, being a parent and husband, and at some point, rest/sleeping. I have seen the comments about hiring a manager to do this that or the other, and while it sounds great in theory, it would be an expense added that would mean things would increase in cost by quite a bit because labor isn't free, there would be a detachment from things on my part because well, can a manager answer the questions related to custom desires, designs and so on without being the one doing the work? And more so, it just opens the door for some real headaches all the way around. I suppose I could just set everything in concrete or stone and there would be no exceptions. So when someone wants certain things, they just wont be an option, unlike now I guess. But take into consideration when someone emails and doesn't really have an idea what he/she wants, and instead goes back and forth 40, 50, 100 emails trying to decide, think of the time that takes to handle it...1 person. 1! If it took 3 minutes to respond to each and every message, that 1 person would be essentially wasting anywhere from 120 minutes (2 hours) up to 300 minutes (5 hours) in just back and forth...Then what happens when they don't move forward?? That's hours lost that can't be replaced. Now multiply that 20 fold. Some can get it wrapped up in 5 emails, so that's 15 min per, some can do it in 3 at a total of 9 minutes. Even if every one was 3 emails and only took 2 minutes per response at 300 inquires monthly which is less than 1/3 of what I see, that is roughly 600 (10 hours) minutes per month lost. Can't replace that time, and that is underestimated by a lot. I tried to funnel it all down to using my site for things, because quite simply, I can track what is discussed in a central location. Inquiries and pricing to 1 email, status to another. I can't control if your isp gets the message to me, nor can I control if the check boxes aren't checked and it doesn't get sent at all. But having things in 1 place rather than juggling messages, pm's , emails, texts and so on from many sources, it is far easier to see the history and avoid mistakes.

Next is what I can't control, and that is unexpected equipment failure, weather, health, and family. Things happen to us all, absolutely. This past 12 months, I have had a ton happen from 2+ months of utter miserable weather that crippled me to a halt on glasses, to having an operation that wasn't expected and a vacation (but that was expected). I actually worked up until 3 hours before I had to leave to catch my flight, no sleep! So It isn't for lack of effort. The weather this year for us has been a royal PITA!! I see the whole "Air Conditioner" thing...Ya, that's fine and dandy, and I bought one, but let's understand how this works, because I figured it out, the very very expensive and hard way. For those who don't know, I do this from home. Once again, the amounts charged aren't enough to sustain a shop in So Cal at the lease/utilities/overhead costs, so it is home based. Now, for an Air Conditioner to work properly, you need as close to sealed environment as possible. This is what I found out the hard way. I have to exhaust paint fumes through a fan and air filter system. That means I keep the door partially open to funnel it out. That renders an A/C useless. Been there, done that. And it ran the electric bill up quadruple!! And So Cal isn't remotely cheap. Once again, overhead. Yes, I did work on a few things through the summer heatwave that was far unexpected and also had mixed in several spells of torrential rain, which is flat out of the ordinary for us. I am a little less than an hour from Palm Springs, it's hot, damn hot. Normally we see temps around 100-105 for a day or two, maybe three. In a month, and usually hold about 95-98 most of the months from June-August/September. This year, 105-115 for days on end and not hardly in the 90's late at night. Very abnormal. Now for my mistakes, I should have stopped everything and not accepted anything at all. This is where I based my decisions on previous times, and it bit me huge. My fault entirely and I accept that and the criticism along with those choices. I have stopped taking things in now actually as a result of the backlog and so on. Also, in those times, I did work on a few things, glasses as I could, but mainly big things, tumblers and a bike. That was my choice and for reasons. Main reason is this: If something failed on any of those, I can fix it. There is enough surface to sand, correct and so on. Glasses, really, you have 1 shot to get it right because they are a pain to strip without destroying the plastic, and the clear I use is a royal bitch to remove, even with a sand blaster. Trust me, I have tried. So it's a bit hard to come back and send someone a frame that is all "FKD UP" and say "sorry mr joe blow, sh!t happens". I make things right and always have. Always. Had someone's Flak Jacket melt and warp while curing cerakote, first and ONLY one. I replaced it. That means I paid money to do his glasses, not made. Not my fault it warped, never had a single frame do it, it was authentic, and I have never had one do it since. Did the oven screw up and a thermostat go out?? No idea. Repairman said no, but I still paid to have it checked, so on top of a brand new pair of shades I had to buy, I also paid a guy $100 to come and check out the equipment. I have replaced a crap load of lenses as well. The new stuff is nothing of quality compared to the old, which is why I stopped. Had 4 pair peel apart from the polarizing filter, that was enough for me.

Now, as for my lack of communications, business acumen or whatever. Eh, it could be tweaked, sure. But at times, it's very reflective of what's going on. Generally it hasn't been a problem until this last several months. Again, I know exactly what's going on and I take responsibility for most of it. I won't get into certain things that just were ridiculous, like having to babysit adults, hold their hands and so on. Just absurd. But following instructions is pretty easy and alleviates a lot of bs. Many found that to be too difficult and were faced with bs. Let's take for instance, a VERY simple thing in the process that is beyond common and creates a huge problem; addressing your item. I don't think people really understand things and I will clarify what I have already made a very big point in clarifying. If you are sending something to someone you hold in relative value, you generally would address the item with YOUR information on the parcel somewhere. You know, return address. Name (Initial & last name at least), return address, and so on. I receive several parcels every single month that lack this. To dive deeper, so everyone is clear, I DON'T OPEN THE BOXES UNTIL TIME TO WORK ON THEM. This is to avoid crossing up things. So if I get a box that has no name, a business name, or a mail/shipper's info, it sits indefinitely. Period. I am not a babysitter, I can't see through the box to know if someone placed their info inside, and I simply don't have the time in a day to do such things. To be hounded by someone saying "I sent it in 5 months ago, what's the status" and I reply with "I don't have a parcel here with your info on it", they get a bit pissed. Why? Because next I hear "Tracking shows delivery"...That's nice, but doesn't address the problem, I don't have a parcel with someone's info on it. Am I expected to stop, dig through everything and find out who's is who's? Apparently so. So now I get to stop someone else's project, further delaying it, to babysit someone a box that was messed up to start. Kind of selfish if you ask me. And trust me, the last time I was asked this was last week. I heard "I sent it 3 months ago", which isn't exactly the case, it was 2, but it had an address. No name, no nothing. Not my fault. But I also, in the process, found 5 more boxes with either a business name on the label "such n such food store was one", or Mailboxes Etc blah blah blah, and the most common UPS Store #XXX. Keep in mind here, and this is the "It's Not Rocket Science" part that seems to have ruffled feathers, but it really isn't, if your name alone was on the outside of the box, I'd know who it belonged to without screwing around with an address or anything else. Who cares where it was sent from, I could immediately know and begin timely...Nope, not that simple apparently.

I am also going to say my final peace on a couple things and be done. As far as the BS with Garth, there are a lot more things to it that what many have been privileged to knowing. And as far as that one goes, it is between him and I only and if you think you know and have never spoken to me, you don't know squat. Always 2 sides, and the one out there slandering and chattering the most is generally the one that is in the wrong. Also, I have ZERO USE for what he claims I stole. Why would I?? Makes no sense, especially when I had over $12,000.00 of watches sitting here that would be of far more use, so remove that bs from your mouths. Nobody is losing anything except patience and time and that's on all sides. Now, for the other one, Marc makes claims I stole some of his lenses. Again, NOT even any truth. He had 2 different purchases on Ebay for lenses from a seller in Romania if my memory is correct, that he had sent to me to cut. I wasn't aware that 2 were coming, so when he asked did I get his packages, I replied with yes. I didn't go pick through everything and I did remember getting one. The second showed on USPS delivered. Not signed for, but just delivery confirmation that the carrier delivered it. To make one thing clear, that doesn't mean it hit the hands of the intended recipient. My carrier, actually I now have 3 of them after the good one retired last february (yes I have 3 different usps carriers throughout the week) aren't exactly reliable. 1 in particular is the problem, and I have filed 6 complaints against him. I have lived here 4 years, had the same carrier for 2 and he was great. Since his retirement, I get things that are certified mail that have to be signed for that aren't even for my house address, let alone me. Now if I sign and not notice, which has happened, or I receive an item not intended for me with delivery confirmation, it shows up as delivered. If it is certified or has a signature required, then the sender can verify the signature was the intended recipient and file an inquiry with the USPS to find it and fix it. It is very common here for this carrier unfortunately. So it sucks, but mistakes happen. Now, where I get pissed about this whole thing is because I exhausted all my efforts with every single Oakley employee I know current and past to try and find replacements because I felt like crap it happened in the first place, but found none. Amber Black Polarized was the lens color, and has long been discontinued. I would have bought the lens if it was available and completed the cuts even though I didn't lose them because I was owning up to not asking further when I was asked if I received them. It sucks and sh!t happens, but I couldn't find any to replace them with and that was that. We both lost out in that. For a couple of you out here bashing, you really need to check yourselves. One in particular never complained when his stuff was pushed ahead of others, but to sit back and say "let me guess", you need to sit back and mind yours because you benefited and others got pushed back at times and you damn sure never paid what anyone else did. And for "cherry picking"...Think again. Right now I am mixing old and new together in like materials to accommodate everyone. That's my choice. It's fair and only done when materials are similar because it cuts down on waste.

So with that all said, I admit yes, a lot has gone awry this year. No, I am not stopping at this point, but who knows what the future brings, but I am trying to get back to standards. For those who can do things fast, good for you. For those who want cheap prices, go get em. I have tried to be midline on it all but it isn't quite working apparently. Something to learn, but I always put 100% into things, even if people are completely unrealistic, like those who screwed up step 1 and then want to be pushed up because their stuff has sat. Too bad, the people who can do things right shouldn't be beat up because you can't, especially when they were sent blind in the first place without complete instructions as to what the desired end finish was to be! I stand firm behind what I do and put out, and I appreciate the fact that @soulfrog has made note of it despite a falling out, which I will be emailing him anyway to squash it because there are clearly some misconceptions as to parts of it and to be honest, I would like it behind us all. Things are being caught up pretty well and trust me I am not here to keep anyone's anything...I don't ebay and haven't in nearly 7 years, so if I move something, it's all on my site for everyone to see. Crystal clear. I will be hammering out everyone's stuff and it's all coming, I appreciate those who are superbly patient, for the others, I understand and am now making strides.

P.S. I am leaving it at this...Not going to go into any of it further. Bad mouth all you like, I don't really care to that aspect, I haven't been in school for a long time and the schoolyard behavior was left back then. If contact is needed, my information is out there. Thanks.

I'd say something's doing him...

I believe he is in deep trouble of some kind. Possibly terminal cancer or something.

Read his signature - whatever it is, he's asked for it.

A true criminal if ever :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back