• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What made you like Oakley?

When I started working for a living, I wanted a decent pair of sunglasses and bought a pair of Frogskins in Clear Black with +Red lenses. I kept those for the best part of 20 years until I sold a car they were stored in, forgetting they were stashed away in there :(

In the meantime I got really into the New Frogskin (which was more of a Jacket variant really) and that was how I found the forum. My New Frogs were getting worse for wear and I started buying Holbrooks en masse, but then I found the X-metal sections here and recalled just how much I had wanted a Juliet back around the time of the first X-Men movie. I bought one pair and it kinda spiralled from there!

When I started working for a living, I wanted a decent pair of sunglasses and bought a pair of Frogskins in Clear Black with +Red lenses. I kept those for the best part of 20 years until I sold a car they were stored in, forgetting they were stashed away in there :(

In the meantime I got really into the New Frogskin (which was more of a Jacket variant really) and that was how I found the forum. My New Frogs were getting worse for wear and I started buying Holbrooks en masse, but then I found the X-metal sections here and recalled just how much I had wanted a Juliet back around the time of the first X-Men movie. I bought one pair and it kinda spiralled from there!
Kinda? Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think I was 10 or 11 y/o when my mom bought my brother a pair of blue sunglasses, my brother told me they are made by Oakley and so on and that they are expensive. I always loved that blue colour, it must have been an ice iridium lens. From that day on it was imprinted in my mind that if I want cool sunnies, I need to get Oakleys, but I was more interesred with BB guns, Twisted Metal series and so on back then.

Years after, my brother gave me his old Half Jacket and I was so happy, til I saw him wearing an X-Metal juliet. I just thought I need to have one! I liked them the first time I saw them, and have tried them on I couldnt believe how comfy it was! Damn, now I know it was my brother's fault why I'm still buying xmetals to this day!

I think I was a senior in high school. My best friend showed up with a new pair of Romeo 1 with rx lenses in. Instantly fell in love with the design. Wanted a pair ever since.

I remember seeing Frogs as a kid. But I think the first cognizant memory I have of really identifying Oakley with anything was Greg Lamond and those Eyeshades and Razor Blades he wore. Something as a kid, seeing all the people massed up in a bicycle race was fascinating to me. And being a good kid of 1980's USA I was pulling for Greg in the Tour de France every year. That distinctive Oakley emblazoned across the lens of the Eyeshades and Razors... They looked like they were built to make him go faster. I wanted a pair so bad and eventually got a pair of M's as my first Oakleys. I was kid and beat them up pretty good. Got a pair of Jackets in high school that I wore through college till they met their end when one of the stems snapped in 2 as I was taking them off. Wanted a pair of Wiretaps to replace the jackets but my wallet couldn't afford it for a bit (to be fair at that point I really wanted a pair of Juliets or Romeos, but I really couldn't afford those). So in law school I got the Taps, and fell in love with metal Oaks. Sat on the Wiretaps and fubared the frame, sent to Oakley for repair, they botched the repair and made good with a brand new Gen2 Wiretap, but the service rep knew I really loved those Gen1's with the +red, so she went the extra mile and dug around till she found some and forwarded them to me as well as a thank you for being a loyal customer. Got my wife a pair of Halfwire XL's on our honeymoon cause she forgot sunglasses to the Bahamas, she lost those a few years ago...Got her some Tightropes that she hasn't lost. My first real paycheck I got as an attorney I called up Oakley and ordered my Juliets, 2 rubber kits and 4 sets of spare lenses.

Those Juliets were the last pair of sunglasses I ever needed. I would have been fine to keep them and only wear them. Then I bought my truck used. And one day a file slid under my driver's seat. As I was fishing it out my hand hit something. A pair of Flak 2.0's with DWP. Yep just sitting under the driver seat of my truck for almost 5 months never knew it. I had never looked through the Prizm lenses till then. After 10 years with my Juliets I hadn't really looked at other pairs. Nor cared to try out anything new. And then the Oakley love affair came back, the itch. I had lurked around here learning ways to keep my Julies up and running as the lenses aged and the frame got loose for a few years. Then I found out that you crazy fools actually chopped lenses, Prizm no less, to fit the XMs. Now I'm here, and over this past spring/summer have added a PBII, an XS, 2 more Juliets, and my 2 R1s. Full blown addict. Thanks Greg Lamond!

Tl;dr

1989 i bought my first pair of neon yellow razor blades for $100. Wish i still had the originals, but i did get a pair of the 2005 re-released ones.

Back