• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What would you do with a still sealed boxed X Metal?

Sell it and buy some vintage O Matter :behindsofa:
😂🤣
IMG_7609.gif

Congrats life is too “frauking” short not to open it.
I'm 110% glad I did... I am way to curious a person to not open something so I knew if I kept them it was going to happen... they stayed sealed about an hour LOL! It was a cool hour though... just appreciating something so perfect in my hands. I never knew there was a whole new feeling to holding a freshly opened X Metal and wearing it for the first time its ever been worn... its better than sex and as weird as it sounds a bonding experience.... I can only say that about one X Metal I own now because I was young and broke and raising 3 kids on nothing when the 90's happened so I did not ever get to buy one straight from the store. I could afford the $125 pairs but $250-$400 was half a paycheck back in those days. It won't be long now I will be looking for a daily wear pair of craters and preserve these to be worn on low risk special days. I feel like to change them up or scratch them up in any way would be sacrilege. I even looked back at the sale I made with the perfect pair with red socks I sold @gpstar but was sad to see he had sold them :( ... If anyone has a Mars red OEM rubber set I would buy them now in preparation for when I get my hands on another...

I'm 110% glad I did... I am way to curious a person to not open something so I knew if I kept them it was going to happen... they stayed sealed about an hour LOL! It was a cool hour though... just appreciating something so perfect in my hands. I never knew there was a whole new feeling to holding a freshly opened X Metal and wearing it for the first time its ever been worn... its better than sex and as weird as it sounds a bonding experience.... I can only say that about one X Metal I own now because I was young and broke and raising 3 kids on nothing when the 90's happened so I did not ever get to buy one straight from the store. I could afford the $125 pairs but $250-$400 was half a paycheck back in those days. It won't be long now I will be looking for a daily wear pair of craters and preserve these to be worn on low risk special days. I feel like to change them up or scratch them up in any way would be sacrilege. I even looked back at the sale I made with the perfect pair with red socks I sold @gpstar but was sad to see he had sold them :( ... If anyone has a Mars red OEM rubber set I would buy them now in preparation for when I get my hands on another...

Sunglasses " better than sex " ???

IMG_20230410_154112.jpg

Sunglasses " better than sex " ???

View attachment 1058720
Yep... there is no cab fair after... no stalking or harassing phone calls.... no pregnancy scares or diseases... and you get to enjoy them in peace and quiet over and over again. Best thing is ... they never get old and saggy and are always stiff and when they get to loose you can tune em back tight again....

Last edited:
Yep... there is no cab fair after... no stalking or harassing phone calls.... no pregnancy scares or diseases... and you get to enjoy them in peace and quiet over and over again. Best thing is ... they never get old and saggy and are always stiff!

I've always known that I'm EXTREMELY fortunate. :cool:

I look at it this way.... you are the caretaker for the moment of these glasses.... If you need to open them to preserve them for another 20 years I don't see an issue with it. Keeping them in a black goo like we've all seen is not a good idea either. Even the Mona Lisa is cared for every year.

I look at it this way.... you are the caretaker for the moment of these glasses.... If you need to open them to preserve them for another 20 years I don't see an issue with it. Keeping them in a black goo like we've all seen is not a good idea either. Even the Mona Lisa is cared for every year.
I 100% agree with this statement... I have received X metals that were stored in the bag and lived in a deteriorated box for years. There is nothing positive about it. The only way a sealed X metal is going to make it in that box sealed and unscathed is if you can be 100% for sure it was store in a 0% humidity environment... Not 1% but 0%. Any moisture in the air is absorbed by the foam because that is what foam is designed to do. Anyone who has seen a meltdown of the foam onto the product knows these few things #1 the paperwork gets destroyed #2 it gets through the bag and onto the lenses and discolors the iridium rendering the precious lenses useless even after cleaning, and #3 it gets on the X Metal finish and stains them leaving slight discoloration. This is especially true of the early models where the finish oxidizes more easily. After I opened the Crater I felt without doubt I had saved this pair from that fate. This pair came out of Colorado to which is a semi desert region so the humidity was not even that bad where it was stored. I can only imagine if it had been in the Southeast or other more humid environments. What it comes down to is Oakleys poor choice of material by using the foam to protect the glasses in shipment. It was a novel idea at the time without thought of the long term.

Back