• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why/How did YOU get addicted to Oakley?

I blaimed my EX GF for that back in the days. She hooked me up with my very first pair of Juliets which I still owning and using from time to time.
It was a bless for me to see how solid a glasses could be, apart from those I knew in former times. In the end a long X Metal journey starts and got addicted more and more ...

@cacatman great thread to start
@Amak.2DK, your turn
@onz , your turn
Awesome story brother!

Also @cacatman nice thread indeed.

My story actually explaining more about myself, growing up I always love the Juliet and Penny but could never afford it. Which lead me to never wear sunglasses throughout my whole life. Now moving forward when I first move to Thailand of 2013, I tend to participate to my wife (GF the time) activity from Paramotor and Paragliding. which involved staying within the dreaded sun, the wife would always complain why I don't wear sunglasses and my explanation is... I have chinky eyes babe, which are made to withstand part of the Ray.

Therefore she never brought the excuse and decided to ask what's my favorite Brand and I replied "X Metal" and Wife wasn't able to find them (my whole plan all along). But she manage to stumble to this forum and secretly brought my first pair of X squared XM/ruby.

image.jpg

Anyways my wife blame herself for my addiction and I have to agree. But at the same time bless to have O Bros around the world.

Thanks @YakuzaFloralGangsta for the Tag and I should nominate

@zwc0442 and @SFFrog oh I hope you can share your story and add the custom part as a bonus too. :D

@mercbezerk yours too brother, if you don't mind.

I never had an addiction for Oakleys before. I only bought what I needed (or what's on sale), and just a pair of good, reliable everyday sunglasses.

When I got hold off my first juliet (Ducati) back in the mid-2000, I valued it much and still have it till now.

It was only when I thought that pair got lost, that I had to find a similar one. Someone from OVault recommended me to this forum, and that's where I found a replacement. However, I found my 'lost' ducati and ended up giving my brother the new oakley.

I stayed around watching posts on this forum, that's when the inkling to collect some more pairs, new lenses, and rubbers started.

So I would say, I blame this forum in starting a new addiction. My current pairs:

20170915_121424.jpg

Just saw this thread today. Oh How I Loathe You. Each & Every One Of You!

Made me wonder what causes people from so many different backgrounds to love collecting Oakleys,

from not just the USA, but from Algeria, Australia to Zambia,
from multi-millionaires who pay as much as a car each month to people who have to save every penny
from professionals to blue collar workers to wanna-be bounty hunters to adult lego collectors to truckies!

While I can't prove that they don't put crack cocaine on the ear stems, so that when you pick them up, it makes you addicted almost immediately, there may be other reasons.

For me, I guess it's kind of something sentimental from my youth.

Oakleys were always the sunglasses to get back then, but in my student days, were relatively unaffordable. I also like the idea that the older models (which I like) won't lose TOO much value over time (at least as far as I can tell), and also that they are not only collectible, but quite useable (unlike other hobby collections), have a story to tell and has a great worldwide (and usually helpful) community following and support.

If you're a collector, then apart from one off Frogskins, in the main, putting together either a partial or complete collection of sunglasses is actually quite attainable and possible.

Whether you have just two pairs of Oakleys (more than 1 pair is a collection) or have allegedly at least 3 pairs of every model ever released it is a satisfying and enjoyable hobby which gives us a creative outlet as well as serves a useful purpose in part (e.g. protects your eyes and may/may not make you look good!!).

I used to think when I was younger that sunglasses were for the most part for people who wanted to look cool. Then I discovered that they were vital to eye health. I searched for information on sunglasses and it soon came apparent that Oakley has the best protection and optical quality. Even though the styling is not my preference I will still wear them over any other brands because it's the proven quality that matters.

Watches, watches, watches. A buddy showed up with a black Ti MM and I was "what the hell kind of watch is that"? I couldn't stop thinking about it and in Dec. of '15 I was Vegas and they were having their 1/3 off sale so I text my buddy and said sorry bro, I'm copying you and I picked up the silver Ti MM. I stayed idle for about a year, then picked up the red MM. I saw a grey DT on eBay and made an offer and was denied and asked why he was selling it on the forum for less. I joined the forum and the rest is history. All I have is watches and love these bastards. I have a few now and even picked up a 3.0 single wide to display them. I don't buy anything I ever intend to sell and have actually only sold 2 and that was because I ended up with two of the same.

That's my story and the addiction has nothing to do with the watches, that's just my personality but dig these watches way to much. :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Ack

For me, it was the Sydney Harbour store. When I walked in there it was like a dream. Seeing these amazing designs had me drooling, from the sunglasses to the watches to the clothing. It was a premier company, lush presentaion down to the graphics on the boxes, every last detail. That's what drew me to them. The sheer beauty of design, it dripped it from any and all angles. Plus the fact that it Oz, and since I was going out in temperature in the mid-thirties soaring up to mid forties: I was going to NEED them. But I also had to live over there, so with a determined persistance I controlled my urges to 'splurge' my money in one go. So it took a while......a fairly short while, before I got caught up in tbe collecting frenzy. In 2002 started to collect a XM Ruby / Juliet then on to the Penny.......the rest is history.

For me, it was the Sydney Harbour store. When I walked in there it was like a dream. Seeing these amazing designs had me drooling, from the sunglasses to the watches to the clothing. It was a premier company, lush presentaion down to the graphics on the boxes, every last detail. That's what drew me to them. The sheer beauty of design, it dripped it from any and all angles. Plus the fact that it Oz, and since I was going out in temperature in the mid-thirties soaring up to mid forties: I was going to NEED them. But I also had to live over there, so with a determined persistance I controlled my urges to 'splurge' my money in one go. So it took a while......a fairly short while, before I got caught up in tbe collecting frenzy. In 2002 started to collect a XM Ruby / Juliet then on to the Penny.......the rest is history.
...and now you have a close to an incredible 600 pair collection!!!

P.S. Who's the "deleted" member who likes your post?!!!

...and now you have a close to an incredible 600 pair collection!!!

P.S. Who's the "deleted" member who likes your post?!!!

Whooa, hold on there: I don't need any encouraging @cacatman. Almost 600 is too many for me(not that i wouldn't appreciate that amount), rather my sg count is at 354 pairs on
11 09 17 :help:. Think you may have mixed me up with a Titan collector.
As for deleted member( have nothing against YFG), there's only one that springs to mind......and our dislike is mutual, so.........?

Last edited:
Back