• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Why/How did YOU get addicted to Oakley?

Whooa, hold on there: I don't need any encouraging @cacatman. Almost 600 is too many for me(not that i wouldn't appreciate that amount), rather my sg count is at 354 pairs on
11 09 17 :help:. Think you may have mixed me up with a Titan collector.
Really? I thought I saw 534 somewhere with your name written there.

Oakley has always been my favorite since I discovered them when I was 14. Just the style, aggressive sporty look, & as I got older the fact they were(once upon a time) made in the US. I played baseball since I was 6 years old, so that attributes too, as well as football & just being athletic in general. I was also big into skating, music, bmx, etc. & Oakley always dominated the action sports market.
JJ was always just doing things that no one else would even try & still won't today, which I respected a lot. Even the clothing & accessories always got my attention too. As soon as I was old enough to afford a pair I got a hijinx my senior year in high school. Ever since those got stolen, I've been buying them up whenever I have the spare cash. I like Costas too but not even close to the respect I have for O's. Especially sports frames, just no one comes close to comparing.

At first when i was in my school days, i mainly attracted to m frames.. I see athletes wearing those specially cricketers... I really wanted to have a pair of m frame heaters..After that i got my first pair of oakley m frame sweep grey lens and heater positive red heater lens, my mom bought me those as birthday gift. Then after that i wanted more..then i started producing music...then my oakley collection slowly began to grow. Now at the moment i have more than 15 m frames (only lenses).. My collection is mainly a collection of sports frames (radar ev, radarlock xl, m frame, flak 2.0 xl, evzero, radars, m frame slash etc, jawbreaker etc.).. I am also thinking of adding some lifestyle pairs in my collection too...

For me I blame @Ecko but will get to that in a minute. I have loved Oakley's since I was a teenager in the 80s. Yes I'm that old. I started out with an all black pair of blades. Then got a pair of Cinnamon colored blades and never looked back. After High School I always had 3 or 4 pairs laying around. In 98-99 I bought a pair of Tio2 XX that I still have today. About 10 years ago my wife bought me a pair of Juliets and stoked my fire a bit.
Fast forward to about 2 years ago. I saw an Oakley single wife tower on CL for sale. I knew someone looking for one so I contact the owner and made arraignments to go pick it up. I make the hour drive and pull up at the house and @Ecko is out taking the yard. We load the case it my Titan and then he asks me if I want to see his collection. HOOKED!!!! At that time I had already lurked around on the forum but had never considered becoming a legit collector. Now I have a double wide case stocked with glasses and watches. Also a closet full of Oakley clothing.

Back in 2002 when I was in Grad school, I stumbled upon the Juliet that I bought and had it stolen in a move to TN when starting out in the corporate world in 2005.
Happened to find a XX (X-Metal) as a replacement at the vault in Pottstown, PA in 2007. Have owned several since, mostly R1, XX and the XS. The XS holds a special place and have been in pursuit of having any noteworthy custom in an XS that I can possibly think of. Thanks to @zwc0442 for helping me get there from time to time. The fascination for the R1, XX and XS is strangely strong that has prompted me to moth-ball and stow away duplicates that will possibly not see the dawn for years to come. Seeing the downturn in the Oakley line-up has now allowed me to pursue my other passion, motorcycles.

I got a relatively late start in life (41) with Oakley. It was early in 2000. I was the paint line foreman in a large auto body and paint shop (can you say Uh-Oh) when it happened. The other painter showed up one day with a pair of New Straight Jackets, Black with green flames. Next day somebody else showed up with Black with orange flames. I knew then I had to have a pair. Well not to be out done I went out that night and bought 2 pairs. I couldn't make up my mind which pair I wanted, Gunmetal w/ Orange Flames and Fire, or FMJ 5.56 w/ Blue Flames and Ice, so I bought them both. Both ended up stolen within a few years but I never lost my love for the brand. Having the first 2 stolen, and not replacing them for 14 years, is probably the reason why I don't part with what I have now. I've turned into an overprotective (don't touch them), happy hoarder (all this forums fault :D) of Oakleys.

I got a relatively late start in life (41) with Oakley. It was early in 2000. I was the paint line foreman in a large auto body and paint shop (can you say Uh-Oh) when it happened. The other painter showed up one day with a pair of New Straight Jackets, Black with green flames. Next day somebody else showed up with Black with orange flames. I knew then I had to have a pair. Well not to be out done I went out that night and bought 2 pairs. I couldn't make up my mind which pair I wanted, Gunmetal w/ Orange Flames and Fire, or FMJ 5.56 w/ Blue Flames and Ice, so I bought them both. Both ended up stolen within a few years but I never lost my love for the brand. Having the first 2 stolen, and not replacing them for 14 years, is probably the reason why I don't part with what I have now. I've turned into an overprotective (don't touch them), happy hoarder (all this forums fault :D) of Oakleys.

Good thing Oakley made those NSJ Flames, you are probably the 4th or 5th I've seen say that pair was the first (it was first I bought also)

Back