• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A/R Coating?

I've seen that video. The issue the in my opinion is probably related to internal stress on the lenses. It's really a minor issue, but Oakley lenses are much for mass produced whereas I believe Dillon's are made in small batches, similar to how prescription lenses are made. All the RX lenses I've seen do the same thing when rotated. Yet here we are, millions of Americans, wearing them happily daily. Also most Dillon lenses are plastic, not polycarbonate. So the optics are better on DO, but not nearly as impact resistant.

I've seen that video. The issue the in my opinion is probably related to internal stress on the lenses. It's really a minor issue, but Oakley lenses are much for mass produced whereas I believe Dillon's are made in small batches, similar to how prescription lenses are made. All the RX lenses I've seen do the same thing when rotated. Yet here we are, millions of Americans, wearing them happily daily. Also most Dillon lenses are plastic, not polycarbonate. So the optics are better on DO, but not nearly as impact resistant.

Makes sense. And I think the DO's actually do meet the ANSI spec for impact resistance, so they should be good to go if that's on your list of must have's. For me, I need something that carries that impact rating, and that's one thing I love about Oakley's.

Makes sense. And I think the DO's actually do meet the ANSI spec for impact resistance, so they should be good to go if that's on your list of must have's. For me, I need something that carries that impact rating, and that's one thing I love about Oakley's.
As far as impact rating goes, if the Dillon or Oakley lenses crack or break under impact, there a good chance you may not even be alive to say "look what I survived because of my Dillon/Oakley lenses"...

As far as impact rating goes, if the Dillon or Oakley lenses crack or break under impact, there a good chance you may not even be alive to say "look what I survived because of my Dillon/Oakley lenses"...

That's why I like the impact resistance they offer. Hopefully they'll stop whatever is headed towards my face before it gets to my eyeball. Lol

That's why I like the impact resistance they offer. Hopefully they'll stop whatever is headed towards my face before it gets to my eyeball. Lol
I'm sure both will, but if either of them actually break or get cracked, you just took a shot that most human beings wouldn't survive from hahaha !!!

I'm sure both will, but if either of them actually break or get cracked, you just took a shot that most human beings wouldn't survive from hahaha !!!

Got that right. I've seen Oakley's impact test. If something gets through these lenses I'm done. Lol

[...] And I think the DO's actually do meet the ANSI spec for impact resistance, so they should be good to go if that's on your list of must have's. [...]
Be very careful when comparing the ANSI ratings of different lenses and glasses. There are multiple ANSI ratings that cover a wide range of lens and sunglass features.
In particular, the Z80.3 standard that DO claims that their lenses meet is a standard that applies only to sunglass lenses (not to the sunglasses as a whole). The standard mainly covers light transmission and color distortion, but it does include the "drop ball" test. Again, the standard applies only to the lenses.
The Z87.1 standard considers the frames and lenses as a complete system, and tests the two together. Eye protection is emphasized in the Z87.1 standard: the glasses must past not only the "drop ball" test, but also a high-mass impact test, a spike penetration test, and a projectile test. In workplaces that require eye protection, Z87.1 certification is usually required for eyewear.

There are multiple ANSI standards. I doubt dilllon has the z87.1

I just looked up the difference. The Dillon's carry the z80.3 rating, which doesn't include any impact resistance. It's solely about the optical quality, UV resistance, and color discrimination.

Oakley meets z87.1 standards, which includes the above standards of the z80.3 rating, plus an additional high velocity, weighted, impact protection rating. Also, to qualify for this rating the lenses must remain attached to the frame during impact.

Back