• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A/R Coating?

Be very careful when comparing the ANSI ratings of different lenses and glasses. There are multiple ANSI ratings that cover a wide range of lens and sunglass features.
In particular, the Z80.3 standard that DO claims that their lenses meet is a standard that applies only to sunglass lenses (not to the sunglasses as a whole). The standard mainly covers light transmission and color distortion, but it does include the "drop ball" test. Again, the standard applies only to the lenses.
The Z87.1 standard considers the frames and lenses as a complete system, and tests the two together. Eye protection is emphasized in the Z87.1 standard: the glasses must past not only the "drop ball" test, but also a high-mass impact test, a spike penetration test, and a projectile test. In workplaces that require eye protection, Z87.1 certification is usually required for eyewear.

See my last post. Also, from what I read on policeone.com, the z80.3 rating doesn't include any form of impact testing, but this list could be outdated or incomplete.

See my last post. Also, from what I read on policeone.com, the z80.3 rating doesn't include any form of impact testing, but this list could be outdated or incomplete.
Perhaps your source is speaking about the frame rather than the lenses; Z80.3 does not include any frame testing.
I believe all the ANSI eyewear standards, starting with Z80.1, include the "drop ball" test for lenses.

Perhaps your source is speaking about the frame rather than the lenses; Z80.3 does not include any frame testing.
I believe all the ANSI eyewear standards, starting with Z80.1, include the "drop ball" test for lenses.

Take another look at my post. I specifically mentioned the frame tests were only included in the z87.1 testing. ;)

And you're probably correct regarding the "drop ball" testing. I would expect that all of their ratings would include some form of impact testing, even if it is low impact.

Any pair of "eyeglasses" made our imported to the USA must pass that basic impact test. "Drop ball" from what I understand. I'd trust @Sun & Sand as he seems to have read the info recently too. Anyway, we got that covered now. I hope I was a little helpful in pointing out the issue there with Dillon.

Any pair of "eyeglasses" made our imported to the USA must pass that basic impact test. "Drop ball" from what I understand. I'd trust @Sun & Sand as he seems to have read the info recently too. Anyway, we got that covered now. I hope I was a little helpful in pointing out the issue there with Dillon.

Absolutely. Until you chimed in I didn't realize that DO didn't meet the higher standard. Thanks to both of you guys.

I recently bought Crossrange with Prism/Polarized. After bringing them home, I noticed severe reflection from the inner part of the lens. I can see my own eyes. This does not happen with my Maui Jims. Definitely, the Crossrange I have does not have anti-reflection coating and my optometrist confirmed it does not. She asked if I'd like to pay extra money to have the coating on the inside. I said no. It's a lot of reflection that I see from the inside, so, I kinda disappointed in this product.

I wanted to have a definitive answer from the source itself. I contacted an Oakley agent and over chat their response was clear that Oakley does NOT have a AR coating on their plano sunglasses.

Don’t mean to stir up an old thread, but curious if there’s a list out there of frame with AR Coatings. It’s one of the main reasons I loved my Nanowires so much. Perhaps I missed it in my search, but curious if there is a definitive list?

Don’t mean to stir up an old thread, but curious if there’s a list out there of frame with AR Coatings. It’s one of the main reasons I loved my Nanowires so much. Perhaps I missed it in my search, but curious if there is a definitive list?

I noticed on Prizm Sapphires and DWP, I get internal reflections where on most all other lens I’ve worn so far have not had that experience.

Is there any % of AR differences in those lenses? Or just bad luck with those blues? (I have to wear my old Ice more to see if it happens with those)

Last edited:
Back