• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any tips for cutting Acrylic Lenses?

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Just got some @Marien Mariener matte acrylic lenses. Are there any special precautions I should be aware of when hand cutting?

I've taken them to several places here in Amman, but no one will touch them because of the risk of damaging them while cutting using a machine, so I'm thinking about doing it myself.

Thanks in advance.

For hand cutting tips - Cutting lenses by hand (a guide)

@Bonz-1, @Chet Manley, @Chris A Hardaway, @pjd1234, @SouLFuLFroG, @scienergy, @Wavecloud’s Customisation - I know you guys cut lenses. Any tips for a first-timer.....besides "don't do it"!!!

So what’s the main worry?
I was wondering why normal commercial cutters can cut normal polycarbonate iridium lenses, but not acrylic lenses and whether it's a problem if hand cutting them e.g. are they softer, so have to be careful with temperature if using a dremel etc. I have never cut a lens, so I have no idea if there's a difference between cutting factory OEM lenses and these acrylic lenses.

All types of lens makers seem a bit different.
Personally I never worry about the material and just follow usual precautions. Example - try a tiny area first. Always de-tack your masking a little.

It’s worth mentioning that the ‘experts’ in opticians etc are not always knowledgeable at all. Even very experienced ones. I often do work for opticians - the stuff they can’t do or I’m fixing their errors.

Back