• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Display Case History

Yo Flawch!

Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NJ, USA
Does anyone know when the first aluminum Mega Towers were made? Also, which came first, the model with the drawers or the model with the lower storage cabinet with door?

Also, is there a 2.0 display case? By seeing the first display made of steel and having drawers, it made me wonder if the Mega Tower 1.0 had the drawers, and my Mega Tower (with lower storage cabinet and a door) might be considered version 2.0?

Anyone with more information about the aluminum mega towers would be appreciated.

I originally thought that the first Mega Towers either had drawers at the bottom OR a cabinet door with 1 shelf inside. Now that I have 3 Mega Towers, I have learned that there is more than one version with the cabinet door with one shelf inside. They are similar enough for me to display them next to each other and 99% of people will think they are identical. But there are multiple differences if anyone cares to read on.

I believe I have two of the 1.0 Towers. They came with a frosted lens in the "ceiling" and some sort of external lighting on the top that I've never seen. I believe my third tower is a version 2.0. It came with a metal plate in the "ceiling" that has slots and a round cut out in the middle, probably for a halogen light fixture that I (again) have never seen.

In addition to the different top plate, the 2.0 tower has the following differences:

1) The rivets on the exterior pillars are in different locations.
2) The two locks in the main plexiglass door AND metal cabinet door are in different locations.
3) The lower cabinet is similarly sized, but constructed differently.
4) The plexiglass shelves are all at different heights, when compared to the 1.0 cabinet.
5) The OAKLEY logo at the top of the cabinet does not have the registered trademark symbol at the right, like the 1.0 cabinets (don't say this cabinet is fake LOL).
6) The locks, while maybe keyed the same, were not the same size, and I had to widen all three lock holes in the 2.0 cabinet for the replacement OEM locks to fit.

I don't know which version came first. If anyone else knows, please chime in.

I originally thought that the first Mega Towers either had drawers at the bottom OR a cabinet door with 1 shelf inside. Now that I have 3 Mega Towers, I have learned that there is more than one version with the cabinet door with one shelf inside. They are similar enough for me to display them next to each other and 99% of people will think they are identical. But there are multiple differences if anyone cares to read on.

I believe I have two of the 1.0 Towers. They came with a frosted lens in the "ceiling" and some sort of external lighting on the top that I've never seen. I believe my third tower is a version 2.0. It came with a metal plate in the "ceiling" that has slots and a round cut out in the middle, probably for a halogen light fixture that I (again) have never seen.

In addition to the different top plate, the 2.0 tower has the following differences:

1) The rivets on the exterior pillars are in different locations.
2) The two locks in the main plexiglass door AND metal cabinet door are in different locations.
3) The lower cabinet is similarly sized, but constructed differently.
4) The plexiglass shelves are all at different heights, when compared to the 1.0 cabinet.
5) The OAKLEY logo at the top of the cabinet does not have the registered trademark symbol at the right, like the 1.0 cabinets (don't say this cabinet is fake LOL).
6) The locks, while maybe keyed the same, were not the same size, and I had to widen all three lock holes in the 2.0 cabinet for the replacement OEM locks to fit.

I don't know which version came first. If anyone else knows, please chime in.
You also have to add in that they contracted several different companies to make these, so little differences would factor in

1705716862288.png

Mine has the halogen light fixture and has 2 drawers.

Maga tower 1.0 is the 2 drawer heavier cab hands down. The one with the single door is much lighter. Same is the case for the double wide as well. Over the last 22 years of collecting I have passed up on the lighter versions of both the single and double wide.
I have replaced the aluminum lighting fixture of all my single and doubles with frosty plastic sheets custom cut at a Homedepot. Those light fixtures are flimsy to say the least.

I believe the version with the door is the RX variant

On O-Review, you can see that "Mega Tower" is the display with the door, not drawers.

The Ophthalmic Tower is much smaller/skinnier, fewer rivets, and possibly no storage under the plexiglass.

Oh... there is no door either?? The Rx shown in the O-Review pic has hinges and a door.

Back