• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dumb carbon question

This is topical for a question I have, save me making a new thread.
If carbon is a coating, what’s the base, xmetal or plasma? I’m about to get my first pair of Carbon juliets and I’m curious what options I have if they need a refinish or if I should get them stripped to the base colourway. I may if it’s plasma but won’t if xmetal. Assuming the carbon is in bad shape. Preference would be to leave as is of course.
The Metal is Titanium, and then it’s finished, or coated.
Carbon is a coating.
Plasma is a finish.
X Metal is a finish.

So if you strip away the Carbon coating, it will be a bare Titanium frame.

8e0f2ce0065d1f2bd190e29f3e6b6655.jpg

I don’t own a carbon for comparison but Zach did this pair as “graphite” to mimic carbon

Not sure that you get it. What @TheDukeOfIce meant was that X-metal is a titanium alloy. If you strip any X-metal down to its base, it’s all the same.

Sorry perhaps I’m wording my posts poorly because that part I know already. I’ve owned X-Metals for 20 years and I feel like such a noob here! So many knowledgeable people on this forum.

all juliets are made from titanium alloy. And I know I’m not covering all the original frame options but basically:

- Titanium - unfinished, unpolished, no coating applied. This is basically just plain titanium alloy hence the frame colour name Titanium.
- plasma - a finish applied over the base described above
- xmetal - see plasma but obviously a different colour finish
- carbon - see plasma but a coating instead of finish And a diff colour
- polished - duh, polished. Can any of the above 4 be polished? Or would that stop the finish/coating? No, right? Because there are polished carbons.

^^^ Is that’s correct?

Can only the coating be removed or can finishes be stripped? Also, can an xmetal frame colour be refinished to plasma? My questions mostly have customs in mind.

thanks again, I’m sure this has been discussed and explained a million times before on here. I have a few ideas for customs but I want to make sure I’m buying the right frames to be worked on and understand the options.

Sorry perhaps I’m wording my posts poorly because that part I know already. I’ve owned X-Metals for 20 years and I feel like such a noob here! So many knowledgeable people on this forum.

all juliets are made from titanium alloy. And I know I’m not covering all the original frame options but basically:

- Titanium - unfinished, unpolished, no coating applied. This is basically just plain titanium alloy hence the frame colour name Titanium. - incorrect. there are two versions of the titanium FINISH one rough earlier gen and one smooth - Later versions
- plasma - a finish applied over the base described above nope a finish applied to bare titanium.
- xmetal - see plasma but obviously a different colour finish - Yes Finish over Bare titanium
- carbon - see plasma but a coating instead of finish And a diff colour
- polished - duh, polished. Can any of the above 4 be polished? Or would that stop the finish/coating? No, right? Because there are polished carbons. yes and no, this was discussed before but dotn remember the OEM process if there was some voodoo done to the frame. I DO know first hand that you cant just polish any frame and come up with a good pair just because of some pairs that had castign marks in terrible places. which is why they had to cover them up with the finishes above.

^^^ Is that’s correct?

Can only the coating be removed or can finishes be stripped? Also, can an xmetal frame colour be refinished to plasma? My questions mostly have customs in mind.

thanks again, I’m sure this has been discussed and explained a million times before on here. I have a few ideas for customs but I want to make sure I’m buying the right frames to be worked on and understand the options.

To sum up think of it just like plastic (but more durable lol) plastic frame covered in FMJ, Plasma, cerakote, paint etc. and if you want to go back, just polish it back down to bare plastic. but in early xmetals, cross your fingers that you do not find a crater in the middle of the nosebridge as you polish.

Latest Posts

Back