• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Romeo 1s - Collectible?

Watchin_around

Oakley Beginner
Hey everyone- funny story…

I was thinking about getting a new pair of sunglasses for golf and I knew I had some old Oakleys sitting in a drawer collecting dust. When I looking through my old glasses I stumbled across my old Romeo 1s that my dad got me in middle school and thought those would be cool for golf. The original rubber was all degraded and pretty much rotting off but the frames are mint. I ordered the replacement rubber parts but then noticed that these things look to be collectible or at least worth some serious coin.

Is there any reason the Romoes fetch such a premium? Mine are a 6-digit serial number, titanium, and a gold-ish color.

I don’t really want to sell them because they were my first nice sunglasses and a gift from my dad (I saw X-Men and Cyclops with his Juliet’s and, naturally, ask for them not know how expense they were at the time).

Should I keep them? What do y’all think?

Hey everyone- funny story…

I was thinking about getting a new pair of sunglasses for golf and I knew I had some old Oakleys sitting in a drawer collecting dust. When I looking through my old glasses I stumbled across my old Romeo 1s that my dad got me in middle school and thought those would be cool for golf. The original rubber was all degraded and pretty much rotting off but the frames are mint. I ordered the replacement rubber parts but then noticed that these things look to be collectible or at least worth some serious coin.

Is there any reason the Romoes fetch such a premium? Mine are a 6-digit serial number, titanium, and a gold-ish color.

I don’t really want to sell them because they were my first nice sunglasses and a gift from my dad (I saw X-Men and Cyclops with his Juliet’s and, naturally, ask for them not know how expense they were at the time).

Should I keep them? What do y’all think?
Not to mention Ethan Hunt [mission impossible 2]

I'd keep em, get em tuned, get lenses if needed.

Retail for Romeo’s when they first came out was an unheard of $285-380ish. Adjusted to todays money $500-650. Then factor in that they haven’t been made in over 20 years and are relatively rare. They’ve been worn by iconic celebrities, Michael Jordan, Tom Cruise etc. They were actually made in USA. They’re also going to last longer than the person wearing them provided they aren’t lost or run over. Easy to see why they fetch a premium.

You should probably keep them since they were a gift from your father. Maybe not the best for golf, but would be cool to see on the course.

Keep it! I picked up my first R1 last week for golf and daily wear, there's no cooler glasses out there imo. Also ordered some parts and nxt lenses from Linegear, once I swap the original lenses and parts they'll be ready to go:cool:

Here are some pictures- the frames are mint, just have gunk on them from sitting for like 15 years. Lenses are good except for a crack near one of the frame joints, pretty sure I over tightened it way back when.

I ordered replacement rubber parts form LineGear so I hope to get these things back on soon.
53f5a5fe945f057a2d3e63654b883b32.jpg

1a8d8878db07094b9b6d0c87fff25735.jpg

6461c43e1d919bc9fd61ea442ef48cd1.jpg

47f627136bf6a18ea33d348a2c44a1d8.jpg

Back