• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

What Makes a Model a Safehouse Exclusive?

It doesn't look the same as what @Rcga32 posted. I put the frame in the light a bit.
IMG_20190610_171647266.jpg

I've had over 100 pairs of Safehouse Radarlocks go through my hands. My main source for them was a family member of a guy working with athletes in Oakley HQ.

Basically as it was already said Safehouse was launched during London 2012 Olympics and it was a chill out building where every olympian could go have a drink, something to eat and get a pair of customised sunglasses for free (obviously Oakley was fine with giving free pairs of sunglasses as they would be likely used for a competition broadcasted worldwide).

I am sure of two models that were that available to customise:

-Radarlocks
-Fast Jackets (much rarer imho)

and possibly Racing Jackets and old Radars.

I've seen few of Racing Jackets finished in the exact same colors as Safehouse Radarlocks and Fast Jackets, but never noticed them in the pictures. Same story with Radars, altough I've had few pairs of those go through my hands and also seen a picture of these displayed in London 2012 Safehouse, but never an athlete wearing them.

All Radarlock safehouse colors can be seen in the first picture. Almost of them were straight stem, but I have seen and own right now a regular stem version. I'd say the ratio of straight to regular stem version was about 9:1 from my perspective.

As mentioned all Radarlocks where finished in matte color with bands in the same shade, but finished in gloss (Fast jackets were all matte with logo over nose bridge removed). What should be mentioned is the fact that in some frame colors the shades do not match nicely - like light yellow pair where the gloss band on all pairs is in much darker shade than the matte frame. Each athlete could choose frame color, icon color, earsocks colo and lens. Two lenses not available normally could be specified: HI Persimmon (Path) and VR50 Ruby Photochromic (Pitch).

I've seen safehouse pairs pop up later too. During Cape Epic race in south africa they have given the same frames to the leaders in certain classification, but that was 2014 I think. I have also seen few pairs on ebay and bought some of them, most of the seller got them from an Oakley related friend or won in a Oakley sponsored golf tournament. That was also after the london 2012, so I guess Oakley gave what was left over the olympics.

In 2014 olympic athletes were getting Sochi green pairs and in 2016 Rio green fade pairs (same green as sochi, but fading to white and finished in matte) and in 2018 there was Harmony Fade series. None of these were customisable, so it definitely makes London pairs more unique.

Back