• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal etched lenses

Hi all members.
I joined the forum to keep an eye out on what goes on in the world of Oakley, and also to keep a discreet eye on a particular member, I’m sure it won’t take some members long to work out who that is
I’ve seen this subject discussed previously, and I feel I need to jump in on this thread to clear up this issue.
I am an aftermarket lens seller based in UK, (I can already hear the screams of disapproval)
The R1 etched lenses in question were manufactured by myself, and to the best of my knowledge I am the only seller that has produced these, certainly in the UK.
First off, let me make it clear, all of my lenses are advertised as aftermarket lenses, and I make it perfectly clear that they are not original Oakley lenses.
I was getting regular requests from previous & potential new customers asking if I could supply R1 lenses with x metal etching.
I had these produced twice, but unfortunately my manufacturer on both occasions, for some reason didn’t get them quite right, so they were returned to my supplier.
(At this piont I would like to reassure you guys that this project with R1 lenses has now been abandoned)
Some of these lenses have now been sold on to flipside by the manufacturer, and anyone that buys them will find that they do not fit correctly.
All of the above can be verified by one of your well respected members who I regard as a friend, but will not name, but if he choses to join in this thread then I have no problem at all with that .... over to you buddy if you wish to join in..,.
In total there were 300 produced, and as of today my manufacturer is still holding just over 200 of them, so in total around 100 are out there somewhere.
I understand that most of you guys are Oakley purists, and that some have taken exception to these lenses, but I will make it absolutely clear that the intention was never to deceive buyers, I was simply trying to fulfil the requests of customers, and I still receive these requests on a regular basis,..... even from forum members.

A good while back I made the decision to keep myself out of the row that seemed to be erupting on this subject, but feel that this subject needs to be “put to bed” once and for all, and hopefully this will go some way to clearing this up.
I’m guessing that this won’t be the end of this thread, and I may jump back in at some point to answer any questions, so long as they are not sensitive to my business I will happily do so.
Hopefully this doesn’t sound like a rant on my part, and that you will understand that my only intention of joining in this thread is to provide some clarity to you guys.
Thanks.

🍿

Hi all members.
I joined the forum to keep an eye out on what goes on in the world of Oakley, and also to keep a discreet eye on a particular member, I’m sure it won’t take some members long to work out who that is
I’ve seen this subject discussed previously, and I feel I need to jump in on this thread to clear up this issue.
I am an aftermarket lens seller based in UK, (I can already hear the screams of disapproval)
The R1 etched lenses in question were manufactured by myself, and to the best of my knowledge I am the only seller that has produced these, certainly in the UK.
First off, let me make it clear, all of my lenses are advertised as aftermarket lenses, and I make it perfectly clear that they are not original Oakley lenses.
I was getting regular requests from previous & potential new customers asking if I could supply R1 lenses with x metal etching.
I had these produced twice, but unfortunately my manufacturer on both occasions, for some reason didn’t get them quite right, so they were returned to my supplier.
(At this piont I would like to reassure you guys that this project with R1 lenses has now been abandoned)
Some of these lenses have now been sold on to flipside by the manufacturer, and anyone that buys them will find that they do not fit correctly.
All of the above can be verified by one of your well respected members who I regard as a friend, but will not name, but if he choses to join in this thread then I have no problem at all with that .... over to you buddy if you wish to join in..,.
In total there were 300 produced, and as of today my manufacturer is still holding just over 200 of them, so in total around 100 are out there somewhere.
I understand that most of you guys are Oakley purists, and that some have taken exception to these lenses, but I will make it absolutely clear that the intention was never to deceive buyers, I was simply trying to fulfil the requests of customers, and I still receive these requests on a regular basis,..... even from forum members.

A good while back I made the decision to keep myself out of the row that seemed to be erupting on this subject, but feel that this subject needs to be “put to bed” once and for all, and hopefully this will go some way to clearing this up.
I’m guessing that this won’t be the end of this thread, and I may jump back in at some point to answer any questions, so long as they are not sensitive to my business I will happily do so.
Hopefully this doesn’t sound like a rant on my part, and that you will understand that my only intention of joining in this thread is to provide some clarity to you guys.
Thanks.

Pretty sure this didn’t put anything to bed. I don’t care what the reason was to make them. End result is that every Romeo I buy, I have to worry if the lenses are real or not.

Hi all members.

Thanks.
May I ask where in the UK you are based?

Also I hope it’s not the “most respected” member of the forum lmao.
I know who you’re talking about, and I can assure you I am not him, by the threads that I’ve read, I don’t think he’ll show his face on here again.
Pretty sure this didn’t put anything to bed. I don’t care what the reason was to make them. End result is that every Romeo I buy, I have to worry if the lenses are real or not.

For at least 10 years aftermarket lens sellers have been producing replacement Oakley lenses with POLARIZED etched in them for various Oakley models , including myself for the last six years, and I haven’t been aware previously of anyone complaining.
Where this has upset some people, is that I dared to dabble with what is considered the “holy grail”....... I didn’t hear anyone complaining that they wouldn’t know if they were buying genuine lenses for other models, and there are literally hundreds of thousands out there, including lenses for other x metal models.
The colours that were produced did not replicate original R1 colours, ant the etching is nowhere near as crisp as originals, I can’t believe for one minute that they would be mistaken for originals.

I know who you’re talking about, and I can assure you I am not him, by the threads that I’ve read, I don’t think he’ll show his face on here again.

For at least 10 years aftermarket lens sellers have been producing replacement Oakley lenses with POLARIZED etched in them for various Oakley models , including myself for the last six years, and I haven’t been aware previously of anyone complaining.
Where this has upset some people, is that I dared to dabble with what is considered the “holy grail”....... I didn’t hear anyone complaining that they wouldn’t know if they were buying genuine lenses for other models, and there are literally hundreds of thousands out there, including lenses for other x metal models.
The colours that were produced did not replicate original R1 colours, ant the etching is nowhere near as crisp as originals, I can’t believe for one minute that they would be mistaken for originals.

Nah I’m talking about a bum lol

Also nobody care about polarized etching. That’s not an oakley thing. X Metal is.

Oh snap. Are you the “roommate” that guy blamed everything on?!?!