• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Guide: Oakley Timebomb II Restoration

htrap2294

Clap Guru
Premium Member
San Diego, CA
Timebomb II Cleaning/Refinishing

DISCLAIMER: BEFORE STARTING, ANY RISK IS YOUR OWN. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR WATCH!

Materials Needed:
1. Palmolive Dish Soap
2. Microfiber Towel x2
3. 3M Scotchbrite Scouring Pad (Green) Link: https://amzn.to/2o3MJcp
4. Flathead Screw Driver
5. Masking Tape
6. Autosol (optional)
7. Toothbrush (preferably ultrasonic, soft bristle)

Steps:
1. Clean the watch thoroughly with Palmolive Dish Soap. Do not be afraid to be generous. This will de-oxidize the titanium and allow you to see the grain of the metal more clearly. Once this is done, dry off with microfiber towel and separate that microfiber towel off from the other one. The one you have just used will now be your drying towel ONLY.

2. Unscrew the mount points of the TB2 band - where it connects to the watch case. See picture below:
608C6185-552B-446E-8A72-B35CDBE769FD.jpeg

3. Take the band in your hand, cut a piece of 3M Scotchbrite scouring pad that is wide enough for the entire band. See picture below:
0167336C-3941-4B9D-BBA0-01A092BC1536.jpeg

4. Once the piece is cut, select the side that is the least widest side, but still wide enough to cover the length of your watch band. Proceed to step 5.

5. After correctly selecting the position of the 3M Scotchbrite, run this pad against your bracelet (which is now detached from the watch) in straight even lines. If you choose to run down, then only run down DO NOT RUN BACK UP. If you choose to run up, then only run up DO NOT RUN BACK DOWN. If you run up and down, the unevenness of the grain will be noticeable in sunlight. Do this until all scratches have disappeared and finishing is smooth. If done correctly, it will match original finish perfectly.

6. Mask off your watch crystal and carbon fiber ring. Additionally, mask off the crystal on the back if there are some scratches to the back of the watch. See picture below:
05CDDF9A-BA81-434F-B071-4A7EE2CDD4FB.jpeg

7. Once the watch has been properly masked off, repeat step 5 but for the watch case. The same rules apply.

8. Once satisfied with the level of finishing, if there are any scratches to the mount plates of the band...use the 3M pad on that as well.

Now, if you wish to proceed to the optional steps...do so. Else proceed to step #11

Optional Steps (Proceed only if you want a slight shine that was not achieved in Steps 1-8. Although, if done properly, there should be a dull shine with steps 1-8):
9. Once level of finishing is achieved on watch case, take some autosol and rub it onto the other microfiber towel.
10. Use this autosol microfiber towel and rub in the same grain direction that you did with the 3M scotchbrite pad. Do not rub too much, or you will polish the metal. Personally, I washed off the metal and checked the state of metal every 15-20 strokes.

11. Once done with autosol, or if you chose to skip that step, take palmolive soap and rub on watch. Also, put some on your toothbrush. Run the watch under hot water while scrubbing with the toothbrush. Do this until watch is clean.

12. Dry off watch with the microfiber towel you set aside for drying purposes and enjoy your like new TB2! Before and after pictures below!

Special thanks to @SEAN WAYNE for the autosol tip!

Last edited:
Thanks bro, really not hard at all and just takes some patience as going continuously in one direction is more time consuming but the result is far better.

I have titanium pads. I noticed it changed the finish slightly. Any suggestions or thickness of the pads.

My friend @JLoh would prob be interested to keeping the finish the same, while getting rid of light scratches.

This looks really well done. Thanks for the post

I have titanium pads. I noticed it changed the finish slightly. Any suggestions or thickness of the pads.

My friend @JLoh would prob be interested to keeping the finish the same, while getting rid of light scratches.

This looks really well done. Thanks for the post

3M Scotchbrite is what will get you that exact match. If done right, you won't need the autosol. The autosol's purpose is to bring back the dull shine the original finish had.

I too experimented with titanium pads, also did steel wool and it wasn't quite the right finish. Trust me, 3M Green Scotchbrite (I linked it in original post) is going to be your best bet.

I have used steel wool on a Minute Machine and that works well enough for lights scratches, while maintaining a close match to the original finish.

Have you tried the 3M Green Scotchbrite on a Gearbox Ti bracelet, which has more of a matte finish?

These are the scratches I would like to remove:

IMG_6629.jpg

I have used steel wool on a Minute Machine and that works well enough for lights scratches, while maintaining a close match to the original finish.

Have you tried the 3M Green Scotchbrite on a Gearbox Ti bracelet, which has more of a matte finish?

These are the scratches I would like to remove:

View attachment 517004

I don’t have a Gearbox Ti unfortunately, so I can’t tell you how to remove scratches on that. Perhaps @zwc0442 can help.

Although, I will say that scratches on a gearbox look good IMO, it contributes to the rugged look of the watch.

Back