• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Care Tips (aka - learn from my mistakes!!) (cacatman)

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Updated 27th May by cacatman

Don't leave the Oakley Prizm stickers on the lenses. They can actually damage the lens sometimes!!! See @shinjiplus's post here.

You can reduce the risk of micro scratches from rubbing microfibre cloths on lenses by washing the lenses under running water first toh get rid of easily removable dirt.

Try to clean the lenses sparingly. Avoid perching glasses on heads if you still have hair. Oils are a downright nuisance on the lenses, unless you have custom cut Dillon lenses.

Don't rub too hard when cleaning old iridium coated lenses (e.g. Romeo 1) because the iridium can "flake" off!!

To avoid spider cracks in Romeo 1 lenses, wear the sunglasses like you are putting on a hat. You will look like a dork, but you'll wish you were laughed at when you look cool putting them on, only to find a spider crack in the upper field of vision.

Don't use the outside of the microfibre bags to clean your lenses if you routinely use the bag outside of a case. It tends to pick up environmental dust and particles and has the potential to scratch your lenses.

Avoid using the clear Oakley stands for some models of Oakleys. They can literally scratch both lenses on the inside due to the sharp pointy poorly designed edge of the stand.

If sending an O-matter frame to be custom painted, send the lenses as well, to be mounted, because incorrect mounting can cause frame chips in the worst place possible, the orbital rims (as requested by @SoulFulFrog).

If a custom cut lens is loose in the frame, use hot glue to secure it (@Chris515000), electrical tape (@SiRacer420).

When sending lenses to be custom cut to @Chris A Hardaway, make sure you send the frames to be fitted (if possible), because it is well known that x-metal frames especially vary slightly in sizes, even if they are the same model. Also the case with wires (@flyer aka "Wire King").

"You know the pull string on a microfiber bag? I've tested it and because they melt the end of it to make sure the threading doesn't fall, it turns the end of that to a level three on Moh's scale of hardness. If it comes into contact with your lens, it will scratch it. So, an easy fix for that is snip off the soldered end or make sure it never touches your lens (if you choose this option, putting away in a hurry will often result in you forgetting this).

I learned this the hard way when I double bagged my PBI to protect the arms from touching each other and leaving the unsightly rub marks that tend to occur on a PBI earstem (just before the titanium plates begin). Due to this overprotection, I have the lightest iridium scratch on the edge of a lens. It doesn't affect vision, but it's there and it bugs me. Since then, I have snipped the soldered end of the drawstring and no more problems." (Tip from @htrap2294)

Use RODI water if your water is “hard” because the calcium deposits can build up where water cannot be dried off from the frame. This can eventually scratch lenses if you are not careful (Tip from @gusbus696 here.)

Last edited:
updated
"You know the pull string on a microfiber bag? I've tested it and because they melt the end of it to make sure the threading doesn't fall, it turns the end of that to a level three on Moh's scale of hardness. If it comes into contact with your lens, it will scratch it. So, an easy fix for that is snip off the soldered end or make sure it never touches your lens (if you choose this option, putting away in a hurry will often result in you forgetting this).

I learned this the hard way when I double bagged my PBI to protect the arms from touching each other and leaving the unsightly rub marks that tend to occur on a PBI earstem (just before the titanium plates begin). Due to this overprotection, I have the lightest iridium scratch on the edge of a lens. It doesn't affect vision, but it's there and it bugs me. Since then, I have snipped the soldered end of the drawstring and no more problems." (Tip from @htrap2294)

In order to avoid this, I actually bought a few 50$+ microfiber cloths that are used only for cleaning my Oakley glasses and lenses, and follow strict procedures for continuing each time. Also washing the lenses first is a good practice since frames accumulate dust even when sat out for even just a day or 2. Awesome post

You can clean lenses as often as you want, and you should. Properly cleaning your lenses will not damage them, but failure to clean them certainly will, because you will get oils on them, whether you wear them on the top of your head or not. And iridium does not come off from rubbing the lenses too hard unless you chipped them from removal/installation, did not clean them often enough, or they have a manufacturing defect.

Is using the single packaged zeiss lens wipes a bad idea? Seems easier to carry around than the Oakley cleaning kit.

Is using the single packaged zeiss lens wipes a bad idea? Seems easier to carry around than the Oakley cleaning kit.

They should be fine, but if you have dirt on the lens you'd want to clean that off with running water or air so you don't rub it around causing scratches. Normal oil/fingerprint stains aren't an issue.

If you’re out and about, run them under water and then use a microfiber cloth. I usually keep one in my back pocket. If it’s anti static, all you need is a quick whip in air and no dust/sand should cling to it.

I also examine the cloth and run my finger over the portion I’ll be using before cleaning. If anything catches my finger skin, I try to remove it. Also, don’t clean your lenses until you’ve run them under water when you’re out. You don’t know what’s on the lens that might scratch it.

Back