htrap2294

Clap Guru
Premium Member
San Diego, CA
I had something similar happen to a set of OEM PB1 lenses overnight, but doesn't look like the same kind of delamination that the OP's lenses had. Recently got them with a PB1 Matte that I bought, they were wearable, not perfect, maybe 7/10, and totally clean when wearing. Last Thursday they were fine, and Friday morning, see pics below to what happened on the inside. What's weird is that when I put them on, I can't notice anything wrong.
Has anyone seen this happen? How or why does this happen?

View attachment 678365View attachment 678366View attachment 678368
This is AR coating delamination. Once it starts, any amount of moisture to the lens will cause the AR coating to continue to flake off. The lens looks like it's still useable - I would just remove the rest of the AR with some tape. This type of delamination only occurs with PBI and C6 OEM lenses (as they had backside AR coating).

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses
Register to Not see this ad

Atticus

1-2-5
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Central PA
I had something similar happen to a set of OEM PB1 lenses overnight, but doesn't look like the same kind of delamination that the OP's lenses had. Recently got them with a PB1 Matte that I bought, they were wearable, not perfect, maybe 7/10, and totally clean when wearing. Last Thursday they were fine, and Friday morning, see pics below to what happened on the inside. What's weird is that when I put them on, I can't notice anything wrong.
Has anyone seen this happen? How or why does this happen?

View attachment 678365View attachment 678366View attachment 678368
Dang, that’s sucks, sir.

htrap2294

Clap Guru
Premium Member
San Diego, CA
Also, when removing with tape, be careful...there's still the standard hardness layer underneath that coating - you don't want to remove that too. If you do, the polycarbonate will become very soft and susceptible to scratches (even from fingernail).

I would just hit the lens with some lens cleaner spray and let it sit overnight - it should remove the rest of the AR coating. If that doesn't work, move to more aggressive method (tape method).

htrap2294

Clap Guru
Premium Member
San Diego, CA
And the reason why you're not seeing anything wrong when wearing is that it's an AR coating - specifically designed to reduce light reflections. So, if it started failing - you wouldn't notice anything visually as the only purpose of it is to reduce light reflections. It is still completely clear to look thru.

My C-Six had it pretty bad and was crystal clear to look thru. I would just live with it and continue using it until the coating fails completely.

Gabbr

Oakley Beginner
Australia
Question: do the internally delaminated lenses have any use? Can they be repaired somehow? Or just go straight into the bin?

StG

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Germany
It happend to me too.
Last night only around the edges of both lenses and today the left lens 1/3 peeling.
Took the lenses out of one frame and installed in my ne refurbished Frame.
Today the lenses look like this:
I did not use any liquid, soap or lens cleaner.
60729F12-06BC-40E7-9410-E3430D809727.jpeg

864AF88D-0936-47E1-8C39-60EDBC836F00.jpeg

1715AEDB-4712-403B-A9E2-49A88DDF2269.jpeg

0477CC64-9F94-457A-83A1-9AA6FFCFC1FD.jpeg

Mike.vanderkoon

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Lifetime Member

New Threads