• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1991 Desert Storm Iraq and Oakley Sunglasses?

Yeah…I’m still searching. These are the only two images I have dug up so far. The care packages I recall were in plain cardboard boxes, had this kinda stuff but with candy, a desert camo covered mini Bible, and at least twice that I recall…sunglasses! In fact I remember taking a fast drive across the desert to snag one when I heard some guy say…I got sunglasses in a care package they are giving out over at such and such an airfield!

IMG_7390.jpeg

IMG_7391.jpeg

Yeah…I’m still searching. These are the only two images I have dug up so far. The care packages I recall were in plain cardboard boxes, had this kinda stuff but with candy, a desert camo covered mini Bible, and at least twice that I recall…sunglasses! In fact I remember taking a fast drive across the desert to snag one when I heard some guy say…I got sunglasses in a care package they are giving out over at such and such an airfield!

View attachment 1077103

View attachment 1077104
You received more than I did. Lucky dog! Oh, did get some goggles for sandstorms. 😂

You received more than I did. Lucky dog! Oh, did get some goggles for sandstorms. 😂
Heh…I was mostly autonomous…so had some leeway in movement. I think I got a total of three different care packages and two with sunglasses. So darn right lucky…care package wise! If I recall correctly, I spent most of the year of 1991 in Iraq. I was stationed at the U.S. Embassy in Turkey so was initially close by anyway 😏

Greetings Oakley Hive Mind! I am somewhere North of 60 years old, almost 22 years of that spent in the U.S. Army.

Back in 1991 before, during, and after Desert Storm, I was kicking around Iraq and part of Southern Turkey. While there doing “stuff” I was lucky enough to get a few goodie boxes while getting resupplied. We got cool candy, Hershey chocolate that would not melt (pic attached), such things. But in one box I got there were a pair of black sunglasses. I would swear that they were Oakleys…and before anyone asks no…Sadly I don’t have them any longer. I scratched the holy carp out of them over time and probably tossed them in a rash act of youthful stupidity. On the up side I got to eat the chocolate bar and still have the shoulder patch!

Anyone else recall these sunglasses? My Google-Fu must be weak as I can find nothing referencing these particular sunglasses.

Thoughts? Ideas? Wild guesses?

Inquiring minds want to know! 🪖👍

View attachment 1076999

View attachment 1077000
I remember what was out there in 1991, and before. Take a look at these and see if they look familiar these are on Ebay. :

Oakley Mens Heritage Razor Blades Sunglasses​

Good luck, and thank you for your service.

I remember what was out there in 1991, and before. Take a look at these and see if they look familiar these are on Ebay. :

Oakley Mens Heritage Razor Blades Sunglasses​

Good luck, and thank you for your service.
Heh…talk about timing. I was just sifting thru the sack of sand which is my memory and trying to recall the basic shape while also searching Google for pre 1992 Oakley frame designs. They were not like M-Frame or Razor Blades. In my memory they were more like the design of Minutes (which I see came out much later). They were black with dark lenses. That I do recall clearly.

Still digging…🪖👍

IMG_7405.jpeg

…also very similar in design were the early Straight Jackets. I am a stuffy guy by nature but after a few years of being low key overseas I bought a pair with flames just like this pic while home on R&R. Talk about out of character…I eventually gave em to a friend 😏🔥👍

IMG_7406.jpeg

Heh…talk about timing. I was just sifting thru the sack of sand which is my memory and trying to recall the basic shape while also searching Google for pre 1992 Oakley frame designs. They were not like M-Frame or Razor Blades. In my memory they were more like the design of Minutes (which I see came out much later). They were black with dark lenses. That I do recall clearly.

Still digging…🪖👍

View attachment 1077503
Sorry for the Necro thread revival but possibly they were Eye Jackets??

Sorry for the Necro thread revival but possibly they were Eye Jackets??

For my two cents I appreciate it as you are adding a possible solution…though probably not. Desert Storm was 1991 and the Eye Jacket (according to O-Review) was made 1994-2004. Unfortunately no photo proof or reference article either way.

But it is similar to what I remember 🪖👍

Back